2013/8/21 Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com>

> On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 2:39 PM, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com>

> goal
> it to
> infinite

> precisely
> >

> > Yes, and because the microprocessors in our computers do precisely what
> we
> > order them to do and not what we want them to do they sometimes go into
> > infinite loops, and because they never get bored they will stay in that
> loop
> > forever, or at least until we reboot our computer; if we're just using
> the
> > computer to surf the internet that's only a minor inconvenience but if
> the
> > computer were running a nuclear power plant or the New York Stock
> Exchange
> > it would be somewhat more serious; and if your friendly AI were running
> the
> > entire world the necessity of a reboot would be even more unpleasant.

> don't

> replaced
> another
> >

> > But how long should x be? Perhaps in just one more second you'll get the
> > answer, or maybe two, or maybe 10 billion years, or maybe never. I think
> > determining where to place the boredom point for a given type of problem
> may
> > be the most difficult part in making an AI;
>
> Would you agree that the universal dovetailer would get the job done?
>
> > Turing tells us we'll never find
> > a algorithm that works perfectly on all problems all of the time, so
> we'll
> > just have to settle for an algorithm that works pretty well on most
> problems
> > most of the time.
>
> Ok, and I'm fascinated by the question of why we haven't found viable
> algorithms in that class yet -- although we know has a fact that it
> must exist, because our brains contain it.

We haven't proved our brain is computational in nature, if we had, then we
would had proven computationalism to be true... it's not the case. Maybe
our brain has some non computational shortcut for that, maybe that's why AI
is not possible, maybe our brain has this "realness" ingredient that
computations alone lack. I'm not saying AI is not possible, I'm just saying
we haven't proved that "our brains contain it".

Regards,
Quentin