Brent - Quite probably you are correct and I agree that the scenario I
outlined was unlikely - I was riffing on a speculative vein,  I don't
actually think covert AI is a likely scenario because as you said various AI
precursors would make themselves visible to human operators and analysts.
patterns would be discerned (except if they were being hidden and excluded
from any reporting that humans would see (so much reporting software relies
on generated code)

I think it is however a promising approach to try to achieve AI - from the
removed level that we manage these things nowadays. Instead of trying to
assemble it in some single machine or tightly coupled cluster of machines
under one roof if it could be a more spread out architecture. If you take a
company with say 20,000 machines on its network each of which may be using
at any given time under 20% of its processing, memory and mass storage
capacity the reservoir of under-utilized latent capacity in that is vast and
could operate under the radar of users awareness, not in secret - that was
my earlier scenario J, but in running processes and algorithms that are of
utility to the enterprise. Now a transient node network like that maps well
to a virtualized architecture where the - shall we call it - ghost in the
machine - which is the many concurrently running meta-processes (workflows,
transactions etc.) that are often also in cross talk inter-communication
with each other. This is typical of enterprise needs.

As the algorithms are evolved (and less and less programmed - and hence
becoming less deterministic in how they come to be) and in this unique
environment of physical disconnection and temporal disconnection in a
massively parallel environment and when they do - as increasingly and on
global scale they are -- independently operating decision generating
processes will begin to interact in subtle & unpredicted ways.

What I am suspecting is that the unique architectures most suitable for
highly virtualized and virtualizable, highly responsive systems is also the
kind of architecture that can perhaps create the subtle deep echo waves and
resonance patterns and promote a less deterministic kind of meta program
(that may be self-generating in a dynamic sense too)

It is this uniquely and massively parallel environment and the need to come
up with meta processes that can operate successfully in such an environment,
with nodes joining and leaving all the time, that I personally think is most
promising for achieving true AI.

I think humans are going to be actively involved, but at an increasing
remove, at architectural, and executive levels.

But as Craig W said earlier true AI may be impossible because of the
aesthetic dimension that is wrapped up inside consciousness. And perhaps he
is correct in an ultimate sense. However expert systems and domain specific
AI is already here  - an example would be the Google car perhaps - not a
generalized intelligence perhaps, but pretty damn good at driving a car in
Las Vegas in all kinds of traffic conditions.

-Chris D