On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 7:03 AM, Russell Standish <li...@hpcoders.com.au> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 05:10:05PM +0100, Telmo Menezes wrote:
>>
>> Bruno did not invent the term "dovetailing" nor is he the only person
>> to use it in computer science. A simple google search will show you
>> this. I know you're a smart guy and understand the metaphor, so you're
>> just complaining for the sake of complaining. Do you also disapprove
>> of the use of a sewing term to describe a type of computation
>> (threading)?
>>

> I was a little puzzled by the etymology of "dovetailing" when I first
> heard it, as I knew about the carpentry term. However, it apparently
> comes from tilers, who describe a pattern of laying tiles as
> dovetailing. And that analogy makes more sense.

Ok. The analogy felt natural to me, looking at pictures like the first one here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dovetail_joint

I think some people also use the term for the traditional way of
shuffling a deck of cards, which also makes sense.

In any case, it's an established computer science term. Wolfram uses
it in "A New Kind of Science", for example.

Cheers,
Telmo.