On Thu, Aug 22, 2013  Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com> wrote:

>> There are only 3 possibilities:
>>   1) Our brains work by cause and effect processes; if so then the same
>> thing
>> can be done on a computer.
>>   2) Our brains do NOT work by cause and effect processes; if so then they
>> are random and the same thing can be done on a $20 hardware random number
>> generator.
>> 3) Sometimes our brains work by cause and effect processes and sometimes
>>  they don't; if so then  they can be done on a computer and a a $20
>> hardware random number generator.
>

> There are many other conceivable options.

Many?

> > I'll try one. Not saying I believe in it, of course. My aim is to
> demonstrate that you are not exhausting the possible scenarios: We live
> inside a simulation created by ultra-intelligent beings in some external
> universe.

 Then there are only 2 possibilities:

1) The ultra computer that simulates our world changes from one state to
the other for a reason; if so then our simulated computers which change
from one state to the other for a simulated reason can create a simulated
simulated world that also looks real to its simulated simulated
inhabitants.

2) The ultra computer that simulates our world changes from one state to
the other for NO reason; if so then its random and there's nothing very
ultra about the machine.

>  In this scenario, comp is false as far as we're concerned.

Cannot comment, I don't know what "comp" is.

  > I agree with Quentin, btw: causality has nothing to do with computation.

Nothing? Then I don't know what you mean by computation. What causal thing
can we do but a computer can't?  It's true that Turing proved there are
some real numbers, most of them in fact, that a computer could never find
even if it had an infinite clock speed,  but we can't find those numbers
either.

  John K Clark