Hi Chris,

you are saying that:

"No, Saibal you invoke the moral quality of the act by describing it as a good thing"

But this is exactly why I want to avoid this whole morality thing, it comes with a baggage that then implies things that I don't support. I can think that 9/11 was a good thing to have happened while at the same time think that 99/11 was motivated by people with very bad motives. A horrible event can also later turn out to have been a very good thing to have happened.

It seems to me that framing things in terms of morality, arguing that I support "consequentialism" is all besides the point. I don't support "consequentialism" it only looks that way because you are considering what I'm saying in terms of morality when that concept doesn't apply.

Look there may well be something useful in philosophy, like what you write about preventing flawed reasoning. But philosophy has been pretty bad at preventing ill defined baggage being inntroduced and made part of arguments. This is why physics and not philosophy is the best way to describe the world.

Saibal

Citeren chris peck <chris_peck...@hotmail.com>:

Hi Saibal

No I don't need to invoke morality, the price I pay for that is to have
to explain explicity what I mean by a "good outcome", what measure I
choose here to determine this, etc.

Saibal, by using the terms 'good'/'bad' and 'right'/'wrong' you can not help but invoke morality because that is the language of morality. And we are able to see what standard of morality you are invoking by examining your justifications.

You are a consequentialist. You assess the rightness/wrongness of supporting Nazis by balancing outcomes. You judge 9/11 to have been good or bad because of the outcomes it had for x,y,z. This is consequentialism and it is a moral perspective. You don't escape that fact by also claiming you have no time for morality, all that does is reveal you to be inconsistent.

"9/11 was a good thing to have happened, despite the perpetrators not
having "good" intentions, i.e. the perpetrators of 9/11 wanted to
achieve something that I would not have preferred. You are invoking the
concept of "moral quality of an act", not me."

No, Saibal you invoke the moral quality of the act by describing it as a good thing. What else do you think your doing by describing something as a 'good'? Having a cup of tea? The fact that the intentions of the perpetrators plays no role in your judgement is paradigmatic of the teleological nature of consequentialism. One of the many reasons so many people find that kind of reasoning unconvincing and shallow.

"Moral philosophy"???. Well, I consider philosophy to be pseudoscience,
I already told you what I think about morality, so I don't have to tell
you what I think about "moral philosophy".

I'm assuming that you are using 'pseudoscience' pejoratively here which is silly coming from someone who believes in multiple realities which amount to a bunch of subjectively calculated sums.

But the truth is that philosophy isn't even close to being a pseudoscience. Philosophy is all very 'meta' and exists to draw out the flaws in reasoning we all engage in. I'm going to ignore your disdain for philosophy, mate, because it is too embarrassing to watch people who engage in little else besides pseudoscience and metaphysics shoot themselves in the foot. :)

"Morality in previous centuries has been invoked to justify the burning
of people at the Stake for blasphemy, no one at the time argued that
this was "immoral" based on a reading of all those philosophers. "

Rubbish. Take slavery : for a long time justified by teleological claims that the suffering of the few was outweighed by the benefits for the many it was eventually over thrown by deontological concerns about the sanctity of self determination. And of course people did argue that slavery was immoral. Of course people did argue that burning people at the stake was immoral. And it was precisely because people did engage in moral philosophy and those ideas dissipated into society that we are now at a point where we can argue about the morality of eating a cow and can take it as given that torture is wrong.

"John is a good example, he doesn't read past the first sentence when I
wrote hat 9/11 was a good thing to have happend,"

Well I did read past the first sentence, but I needn't have. Look, if the gears in your brain are grinding away and delivering up moral statements like '9/11 was a good thing' then its time to visit the brain mechanic for a moral m.o.t. Maybe, if you really fancy yourself as a moral nihilist, then change the gaskets and abandon the use of moral terminology. Compare:

"Supporting the Nazis was useful for the Arabs way back when"

with

"Supporting the Nazis was the right thing to do way back when"

Do you see the difference?

I think having a go at people for taking you at your word is foolish.

All the best.

No I don't need to invoke morality, the price I pay for that is to have
to explain explicity what I mean by a "good outcome", what measure I
choose here to determine this, etc.

9/11 was a good thing to have happened, despite the perpetrators not
having "good" intentions, i.e. the perpetrators of 9/11 wanted to
achieve something that I would not have preferred. You are invoking the
concept of "moral quality of an act", not me.

"Moral philosophy"???. Well, I consider philosophy to be pseudoscience,
I already told you what I think about morality, so I don't have to tell
you what I think about "moral philosophy".

Morality in previous centuries has been invoked to justify the burning
of people at the Stake for blasphemy, no one at the time argued that
this was "immoral" based on a reading of all those philosophers. So,
it's of no use other than to condemn people we don't like. Not invoking
morality will force you to use rational arguments.

John is a good example, he doesn't read past the first sentence when I
wrote hat 9/11 was a good thing to have happend, because he has
programmed a concept of "morality" in his brain to create a mental
block in such a case. Whatever explanation I give has to be wrong
because his sense of "morality" (which he can't expand on), tells him
so.