Also, forgetting Karl Popper, inventor of the hot popper, Craig is in a sense,
reminding us all of Kurt Godel's mathematical proof, on mathematical proofs.
This, I suppose, also applies to bench science and bench scientists?

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com>
To: everything-list <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Tue, Sep 10, 2013 1:50 pm
Subject: Re: What gives philosophers a bad name?

As usual, I see a microcosm of science in this thread. From Bruno's
perspective, the power of reason is in its ability to see through its own bias
to find questions, problems, and shades of grey. From John Clark's perspective,
reason is about black and white evidence which provides answers and closes the
door on what is wrong as it opens the door to a future which leads to what it
true and right.

To me, these are both exaggerations - idealizations of how we would like to
seem to ourselves and how we would like science to be. I think that the truth
of science is that there is no formula, no method other than a general faith in
precision and methodology and a hope for discovery.

Thanks,
Craig

On Tuesday, September 10, 2013 11:35:16 AM UTC-4, John Clark wrote:
On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 4:55 AM, Bruno Marchal <mar...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

 >>> I do not like very much Feyerabend, and disgaree with its overal
 >>> philosophy of science, I do agree with him on Galileo.

>> OK so let me get this straight, you agree that "the church at the time of
>> Galileo was much more faithful to reason than Galileo himself",

> I did not say that. Nor did Feyerabend.

 Bruno  you are incorrect, Feyerabend did say "the church at the time of
Galileo was much more faithful to reason than Galileo himself", and he also
said  "Its verdict against Galileo was rational and just":

hemultidisciplinarian.com/2012/08/07/the-worst-enemy-of-science/

Bruno, is this really the sort of toothless hillbilly you want to be associated
with?

>> Blinded? BLINDED!? Were talking about Galileo and the church but it's
>> Galileo who was blinded!?

> Yes, he was blinded by its Aristotelian faith

Aristotelian faith!? Galileo was the guy who proved that Aristotle was the
worst physicist who ever lived!

And I thought this list was supposed to be about cutting edge developments in
human knowledge, so why the hell do we keep talking about ancient Greeks who
(with the important exception of Greek mathematicians) didn't know their ass
from a hole in the ground?

  John K Clark