On 12 Sep 2013, at 22:02, John Clark wrote:

On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 11:15 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> Feynman was very bad in philosophy. Even in the philosophy of QM, he has avoided all questions, and only put in footnote some remarks showing that he did not believe in the wave collapse. He added often: don't try to understand what happens, Nature just acts like that ...
That is bad philosophy

Maybe, but he wasn't a professional philosopher, thank goodness. While others were contemplating their navels and doing nothing but saying the same thing over and over "quantum mechanics is weird" Feynman was trying to figure it out.

> and bad science.

BULLSHIT! Feynman predicted in 1948 that the magnetic moment of an electron can't be exactly 1 in Dirac units as had been thought because it is effected by an infinite (and I do mean infinite and not just astronomical) number of virtual particles. He brilliantly figured out a way to calculate this effect and do so in a finite amount of time, he calculated it must be 1.00115965246, while the best experimental value found much later is 1.00115965221. That's like measuring the distance between Los Angeles and New York to the thickness of a human hair, and Feynman got it right just by using his mind. That's too good to be a coincidence, Feynman must have been onto something good. Let's see a "good philosopher" like your pal Feyerabend beat that!

Feynman was a giant in physics. No doubt. I just said that he was bad in philosophy. I am not a pal of Feyerabend, nor of many philosophers since 1500 years. Feyerabend is too much relativist to be taken seriously when you study machine's (logical) theology.