On 15 Sep 2013, at 18:02, John Clark wrote:

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 10:15 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

Me:
>> Feynman predicted in 1948 that the magnetic moment of an electron can't be exactly 1 in Dirac units as had been thought because it is effected by an infinite (and I do mean infinite and not just astronomical) number of virtual particles. He brilliantly figured out a way to calculate this effect and do so in a finite amount of time, he calculated it must be 1.00115965246, while the best experimental value found much later is 1.00115965221. That's like measuring the distance between Los Angeles and New York to the thickness of a human hair, and Feynman got it right just by using his mind. That's too good to be a coincidence, Feynman must have been onto something good.

> Feynman was a giant in physics. No doubt. I just said that he was bad in philosophy.

Feynman showed that virtual particles must exist, particles that can violate the law of conservation of mass-energy, at least for a short time. Feynman showed that when a particle moves from point X to point Y it can do so by any path with various degrees of probability, and when you add up all the infinite (and not just very large) number of paths you get the path we observe the particle to be moving at, and he showed us how to add up these infinite number of things in a finite amount of time and get numbers out of them. These profound philosophical discoveries dwarf anything Popper found, assuming he found anything at all.

And Feynman wasn't the only one, Darwin showed how multicellular life such as ourselves came to be, Godel found that some things are true but can't be proved, Turing showed that some things are deterministic but not predictable, Cantor proved that there are degrees of infinity, Hubble found that the universe was expanding, and Watson and Crick showed how heredity works at the most fundamental level. None of these huge philosophical discoveries were made by somebody who called himself a philosopher, and that's why I say that philosophers no longer do philosophy.

That's natural philosophy, but today we call that physics, biology, biochemistry. Popper made clear what science is all about, which was already clear for good scientists, but which is still ignored by most professional philosopher, and most applied scientists. But I do agree with you that "philosophy" today is a bit sick, like theology (the science) has virtually disappear since the Roman Empire. In many universities, when I was young, philosophy was just Marxism and anti-americanism. Academical philosophy is used today as a tool to ignore scientific results when they are politically unpleasant (like the fact that cannabis cure cancers, or that primary matter does not exist, to name a few).

Personally, I am problem driven, and don't believe in clear separation of field, which is just a practical tool to make experts. I don't really believe in academical philosophy. In many places, they have prevents philosophy of science, philosophy of mind, debate on QM, if not forbidden the use of terms like "consciousness", etc. The pity is that some scientist give them the full academical authority.

Today, we use philosophy, like "theology" has been used before enlightenment. Just unfounded authoritative (violent) arguments. How many philosophers told me "you have not the right to reason like that ...", when of course a scientist would show precisely that a rule, or method of reasoning, is invalid, by providing a counter- example.

Bruno

  John K Clark

it would be hard to find ANY calculation in modern particle physics that doesn't involve some form of virtual particles.

virtual particles

I am not a pal of Feyerabend, nor of many philosophers since 1500 years. Feyerabend is too much relativist to be taken seriously when you study machine's (logical) theology.