On 18 Sep 2013, at 04:12, chris peck wrote:

Hi John

>> Exactly, Newton and Darwin and Einstein didn't need Popper to tell them how to get knowledge out of nature, and absolutely no change in how science was done happened in 1934, the year Popper's book was published. None whatsoever.

Newton and Darwin would have had problems if they had of needed Popper given they worked before he was even born. Sometimes I read your posts and just think your belching wind.

Popper was not trying to explain to people like Einstein how to 'get knowledge out of nature'. You're basing your entire argument on a straw man. In fact, he used Einstein as a paradigm example of how to conduct science properly. But what of Adler, Freud or Marx? All these people claimed their theories to be scientific too and earnt a whole lot of credit for that, but where they scientific? Their theories could be contrasted with Einstein's in so far as where Einstein derived 'bold and risky' observational predictions which could be falsified; neither Freud, Adler nor Marx did.

You say that this demarcation principle has had no influence in science. Within Psychology however, for better or worse, Psychoanalysis is now perceived as a faintly absurd artifact of history. No one gets hot under the collar about penis envy anymore. Why? Because psychoanalysis doesn't make falsifiable predictions. There has been a cognitive and neuro-scientific 'revolution' which has striven hard to base psychology on more empirically falsifiable foundations.

In physics there is a debate about whether string theory (or string "theory" if you must shake your rattle, John) deserves all the funding it receives. What is at the core of the debate?: Does it matter that it fails to make falsifiable predictions? Should other theories (quantum loop gravity) which potentially offer more scope for falsifiability receive a greater proportion of the available resources.

Go back a hundred years or so and no-one gave a toss about any of that, so has Popper and the movement he spearheaded had an effect? Of course it has. Its pompous boneheaded bullshit to suggest otherwise.

If we agree, with Popper, that a theory needs to be falsifiable to be interesting, then Popper's theory is interesting, because, strictly speaking, it has been refuted, by John Case and Ngo-Manguelle:

CASE J. & NGO-MANGUELLE S., 1979, Refinements of inductive inference by Popperian machines. Tech. Rep., Dept. of Computer Science, State Univ. of New- York, Buffalo.

By accepting that an inductive inference machine proposes, from time to time, unfalsifiable theories, you enlarge non trivially the class of phenomena that the machine can recognize, and build correct theories about.

Note the (slight) paradox here.

Bruno