>> A computation always takes a nonzero amount of energy to perform,
>> theoretically you can make the energy used be as close to zero as you like,
>> but the less energy you use the slower the calculation.

How does that square with the increased (well measured) energy efficiency per
fundamental unit of logic (single machine operation) -- it takes far less
energy to perform an elementary logic operation on a modern CPU than it did on
say a CPU from ten years ago (even if the modern CPU may suck down more total
power -- it is performing far more work)

Modern CPUs clearly are also operating at much higher speeds. I think you are
not factoring in the dimension of scale or the physical size of the logic
container/state-machine. As the size of a logic gate is scaled down it takes
less energy and can operate at a higher clock speed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Performance_per_watt
"For example, the early UNIVAC I computer performed approximately 0.015
operations per watt-second (performing 1,905 operations per second (OPS), while
consuming 125 kW). The Fujitsu FR-V VLIW/vector processor system on a chip in
the 4 FR550 core variant released 2005 performs 51 Giga-OPS with 3 watts of
power consumption resulting in 17 billion operations per watt-second.[1][2]
This is an improvement byover a trillion times in 54 years."

Size (or rather the lack of it) matters in this equation.
-Chris