From: everything-list@googlegroups.com
[mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of L.W. Sterritt
Sent: Friday, September 20, 2013 8:09 PM
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Cc: L.W. Sterritt
Subject: Re: What gives philosophers a bad name?

Chris, Brent and meekerdb,

While we have been considering optimizing the efficiency of circuitry and
software, we neglected that while talking on the smartphone, 1/2 of the
total power budget goes to radiation from the smartphone antenna - about 2
Watts as I remember.  That will drain a typical smartphone battery in less
than 3 hours, and there is not a lot we can do about it, except use the
phone for all of it's other functions and don't talk too much!

LWSterritt

Good point. where is the energy usage going. A lot goes into the displays as
well and into Blue Tooth and GPS.

Wouldn't vastly increasing the number of base stations (very small scale
base stations) and concurrently lowering the network signal strengths needed
lower the total system wide energy requirements of a cellular system;
including of course transmission strengths.

Also I am not certain that nothing can be done to improve antenna
performance itself. One way would be to accept the hit and use a lower
powered lower fidelity antenna and then improve the signal by algorithmic
means achieving a similar level of quality of service. In this instance I am
suggesting that software could be used to process a low energy, weak & noisy
signal and that the overall energy required would still be less than that
required by the better signal produced by a higher powered antenna that
requires no dsp layer.