On 27 September 2013 14:18, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  On 9/26/2013 6:47 PM, LizR wrote:
>
>  On 27 September 2013 13:03, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>  On 9/26/2013 6:05 PM, Russell Standish wrote:
>>
>> This is a sort of cul de sac experience, which has to be impossible to
>> create if QTI is true. The existence of a universal dovetailer entails
>> the lack of all cul de sac experiences (Comp immortality).
>>

>>  So does it make loss of consciousness impossible? ....under
>> anesthesia?...forever?
>>

>  Surely not, because from a first person perspective one just goes to
> sleep and wakes up again (or experiences dreams). "No cul de sac" implies
> there's no way to stop consciousness permanently.
>

> I know it implies that, but I see no reason to believe it.  The question
> isn't whether consciousness continues, but whether *your* consciousness, a
> particular consciousness continues.  To say otherwise is like saying you
> can't kill the guy in Moscow because he has a duplicate in Washington.
>
> This is the "Haraclitus" problem (or observation, if you don't consider it
a problem). The man can't step into the same river because he isn't the
same man. The consciousness that continues after any given moment is,
presumably, the next moment of consciousness which is the "best
continuation" of the last one. This seems similar to the view in FOR that
the multiverse is made of "snapshots" which give the appearance of forming
continuous histories (ignoring whether you can slice up space-time into
snapshots...)

So there's a certain amount of "mini-death-and-mini-rebirth" going on every
second in the normal process of consciousness (in this view). Deciding what
counts as a continuation and what doesn't seems a bit ... problematic. (And
of course there are many continuations from any given moment.)