On 27 Sep 2013, at 03:20, meekerdb wrote:

On 9/26/2013 6:00 PM, LizR wrote:
On 27 September 2013 12:51, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
On 9/26/2013 5:40 PM, LizR wrote:
On 27 September 2013 12:18, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
On 9/26/2013 4:51 PM, chris peck wrote:
"Giving the built-in symmetry of this experiment, if asked before the experiment about his personal future location, the experiencer must confess he cannot predict with certainty the personal outcome of the experiment. He is confronted to an unavoidable uncertainty."

And the situations are very different because prior to teleportation there is one me, waiting to be duplicated and sent to both locations. After teleportation there are two 'me's, one at either location. That effects the probabilities, surely?

Mainly because it makes "I" ambiguous. One answer would be the probability of me being in Moscow is zero and the probability of me being in Washington is zero, because I am going to be destroyed.

Another answer would be the probability of me being in Moscow is one and the probability of me being in Washington is one, because there are going to be two of me.

Surely this is directly analogous to the situation in the MWI.

The only difference I can see is that in MWI the whole world splits, and by this I mean that in each branch your body maintains all the quantum entanglements. In the teleporter it is only the classical structure of you that can be duplicated (no cloning) and so all the entanglements are not duplicated (which why you can end up in two classically different places). Of course that all depends on assuming MWI is true. Sometimes I think it is a little ironic that the advocates of MWI reduce everything to computation/ information - but they reject the Bayesian/epistemic interpretation of QM in order to support it.

Good point, which I would say depends on exactly how the teleporter actually works. (Are we, for the sake of argument, assuming "Heisenberg compensators" ? :-)

I assume that in comp the substitution level is assumed to be above the level of quantum entanglement - indeed, all that has to be duplicated is the data structure that is (supposedly) stored in your brain. That is presumably classical data, not qubits. So the same argument would apply if a copy of you is made in a computer.

That's what must be assumed for the teleporter to work. But then Bruno hypothesizes that the world is made of computations (by the UD)

Not really. I assume only that our brain is Turing emulable (in a large sense of brain). Then I explain why if that is the case, there is no world made of computations, there are only computations, determining consciousness flux, and physical realities are invariant pattern in such consciousness flux. I take into account that a universal turing machine cannot distinguish anything (computable or not) from a diophantine approximation of its local history, so that physics is build from the statistical appearance on infinities of diophantine equations, or more simply any one universal.

at the most fundamental level which means at the quantum level (or lower) and the quantum uncertainty comes from the uncertainty of you being 'duplicated' in MW.

More precisely, of you multiplied in infinities of solutions of a Diophantine universal equation (to put it in this way).

The point being that this is not true, but that 1) it follows from comp, and 2) it is testable/refutable.

This is of course pushing the idea of the brain as digital computer (or emulable by one) as far as it will go, to see if the wheels come off. The question is, do they?

I don't think so, but it's not completely clear to me. For one thing both the brain and the digital computer are (if comp is right) classical objects.

Only above the substitution level (an that's part of hat we have still to justify, the apparent winning of many classical universal machines).

That means from a quantum view they must be represented by "bundles" or "threads" of computations (like Feynman paths) to take account of all the entanglement with the environment that makes them (quasi) classical. This entanglement will be different when you plug and electronic artificial neuron in place of a biological one. Presumably this doesn't make any significant difference in 'you', but it *could* make a difference in some circumstance and the arguments to dispense with the physical seems to rely on anticipating all those possible counterfactuals. Which is why I suspect you can't dispense with the physical even if it's not fundamental.

Absolutely. Although with comp this is not entirely clear in "near death" state and in some possible persistent dreamy states. At some point "physical" has to be made more precise, and for the machine, I suspect three different notions of physical. Life and (some) afterlife may have different physics, for example. We must dig deeper in machine's theology.

Quantization appears, with p sigma_1 arithmetical, on the knower (Bp & p), the observer (Bp & Dt), the feeler (Bp & Dt & p).

Comp compromises with Everett and Fuchs-Pauli, we have many relative states of mind, distributed in arithmetic.