On 9/29/2013 2:03 PM, smi...@zonnet.nl wrote:
Citeren meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net>:

On 9/29/2013 6:26 AM, smi...@zonnet.nl wrote:
Also, you can run the copy inside a virtual environment and then the copies will never diverge.

?? I don't think so. Insofar as they are classical objects they depend on decoherence to remain classical and deterministic. But that means they interact with the environment. So the environments would also have to be identical at the quantum level. But then how would you interact with them in order to measure the behavior. So I think the virtual environment can only give a small extension in predictability.

Brent

It doesn't follow that the environments have to be identical at the quantum level, as that would imply that one cannot build a reliable classical computer. The whole point of computation is that you are able to take as input only that is relevant from the environment so that the outcome of the computation is independent of other factors.

Good point.