On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 3:44 PM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday, September 30, 2013 6:12:45 AM UTC-4, telmo_menezes wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 7:49 PM, Craig Weinberg <whats...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> > Mechanisms are functions of time, but experience would be more primitive
>> > than time in this view. To have a mechanism, there must already be some
>> > experience of events, memory, expectation, etc.
>>
>> But we know that universal machines can be built with very little:
>> simple cellular automata, arithmetics, balls colliding and so on. You
>> can then argue that some substrate is necessary for this computation,
>

> I don't think that I have to argue it, it's a fact that we cannot construct
> universal machines out of uncontrollable materials. We can't use uncontained
> gases or live hamsters to do our computations for us. When we build
> machines, particular electronic computers, materials are refined to a
> pristine degree. Impurities must be removed so that only the most reliable
> and consistent qualities of matter are selected for.

Yes but if we are entities living as part of a computation that is not
surprising. We have to carve a medium somehow to perform our own
computations. It doesn't really tell you anything about the meta-level
computation that might be taking place.

>> but it is quite clear that what is necessary to have the possibility
>> of a full blown human zombie is theoretically very little. This does
>> not refute your main thesis, of course, but I think it does refute
>> that experience of events, memory and expectations are necessary for
>> mechanism.
>

> The necessity of experience is easy to refute in theory, but if we do that,
> we must at the same time justify the existence of experience on some
> arbitrary level of description of matter, which I don't think can be done
> convincingly.

But you can doubt matter. What then?

> We know that we can 'play possum' more easily than a dead
> possum can become a zombie. This is not to suggest that inanimate objects
> are pretending to be inanimate, but that it is the constraints of whatever
> kinds of sensation we have access to which hide the scales on which
> animation is taking place (too slow, too fast, too large, too small, too
> unfamiliar = invisible or inanimate).
>

>> >Think of the mechanism by
>> > which you change your attention or open your eyes. Sure, there are
>> > mechanisms that we can point to in the body, but what mechanism do *you*
>> > use
>> > to control yourself?
>>
>> Ok, I know what you mean. Yes, I find this mysterious.
>

> So if we scale down that mystery to every level of the universe (which we
> would sort of have to since our self control involves billions of cells made
> of nothing but molecules), then we have a model for what energy 'really' is
> - primitive sensory-motive interaction.

I don't see how that follows.

>> > I submit that there is no button to push or crank to
>> > turn. If there were, then you would already be controlling yourself to
>> > use
>> > them. No, at some point something has to directly control something by
>> > feeling and doing.
>>
>> What if the thing that controls is being generated by the act of
>> controlling?
>>
> I think that it is. The act is what I call motive. A bit more complicated
> for an animal, since we can express motives mentally which only controls the
> activity of our own nervous system directly. To control our body, we need
> our nervous system to make our motives public to our voluntary muscles. The
> motive must induce motor cooperation on a larger scale.

Ok.

>> > Whether we push it down to the microcosm or out to
>> > statistical laws makes no difference - somewhere something has to sense
>> > something directly or we cannot have experience.
>> >
>> > I wouldn't call it a belief, it's a hypothesis. I arrived at it by
>> > having a
>> > lot of conversations in my head about it over several years - writing
>> > things
>> > down, remembering them, dreaming about them, etc.
>>
>> Ok. I have nothings against this but I would say you have to be very
>> cautious when relying on this type of approach. My position is that
>> there is a lot of value in doing this, but you cannot ever claim a
>> communicable discovery just by doing this. You can only find private
>> truth. When you try to communicate private truth, you risk sounding
>> like a lunatic. This is, in my view, what's so compelling about art.
>> Under the banner of "art", you are allowed to try to communicate
>> private truth and get a free pass from being considered a nutjob.
>

> That makes sense, but what if you're not afraid of what others think though?

I think this is a worthy goal of self-improvement if you will, but I
doubt that it can be thoroughly achieved. Our biological program is
very powerful. It becomes less powerful once we become aware of it, of
course.

> If the discovery that I was communicating had an impact on practical
> matters, I would agree, but what I propose is only a change in how physics
> is interpreted, not a contradiction of physical observation. I'm not
> suggesting a perpetual motion machine, I'm presenting a hypothesis about how
> the broad terms of the big picture could fit together. Maybe I have done
> that to some extent and maybe I haven't, but given the nature of the subject
> matter, which involves the integration of privacy into physics, the very
> resistance to private authority may turn out to be part of the obstacle
> which has kept us tethered to dualism and unacknowledged dualism (mechanism
> and idealism both cast each other as 'illusion' or 'emergent properties').

On the other hand, there are good reasons to be very wary of private
authority, namely all the evil brought to the world by religious
leaders and their private authority. They create, as Carl Sagan puts
it, a "demon haunted world".

>> > I that there is a correlation between the complexity of form+function
>> > and
>> > the richness of subjective experience but I don't think that it's the
>> > form+function aspect which is head end.The more words you have in your
>> > vocabulary, the more of an interesting story you can tell, but you still
>> > need a reader to appreciate the meaning of the story. Without a reader,
>> > it
>> > makes no difference how complex the arrangement of words is. A computer
>> > is
>> > about breaking down patterns that it cannot read into even more
>> > meaningless
>> > bits and processing them from the bottom up. Consciousness benefits from
>> > that kind of computation through the brain, but it also does the
>> > opposite.
>> > Consciousness is top down as well as bottom up.
>>
>> So one aspect generates the other. I can live with that.
>>

> Ok, but it can be only the top down which generates 'aspects' in the first
> place. Particles cannot arrange themselves into a whole unless there is an
> implicit expectation of wholeness already present. Once you have this
> multiplicity of relations between experiential unity and null-experienced
> granularity, then there can be feed back from the bottom back to the top.
> Without the top though, there can only be unrelated fragments in a timeless
> (memoryless) void. It makes sense that the tail end is a flattened version
> of the head, but not that the head is only a multiplicity of tails.

>> > I'm not sure, but there are a number of clues that relate to a theme in
>> > nature of superlative uniqueness. Everything from the Cambrian Explosion
>> > the Industrial Revolution to 'stars' (celebrities) points to a
>> > connection
>> > between singularity and significance. For a universe which is so vast
>> > and
>> > based on so many generic repeating patterns, it seems suspicious that
>> > there
>> > would be so many instances where being 'first' is possible.
>>
>> Evolution + combinatorial explosion?
>>

> Maybe, but I think its more than that. The celebration of firstness and
> superlative quality seems disproportionate to statistical function. It seems
> aesthetic.

Ok. I tend to believe that evolution + MWI solves the issue issue
you're alluding to, if I understand you correctly.

> [...]
>> >

>> > Right, I resist them intentionally because I don't think they match
>> > reality.
>> > Any formula for becoming a millionaire based on general strategies would
>> > be
>> > likely to cancel each other out statistically by failure and by
>> > self-competition.
>>
>> Yes, but that doesn't invalidate the abstraction. If you buy a "get
>> rich" book that actually contains ideas extracted from people who got
>> rich, you are too late.
>

> Right! There's another connection with being first and measurement relating
> to public effects rather than private affects.
>

>> But if you get to learn from the person before
>> the book is published, maybe not. The point being that the abstraction
>> does not become irrelevant, it's just no longer enough because
>> information propagation made a large number of agents less naif. It's
>> a red queen scenario.
>

> Sure, but what I'm saying is that the universe may not be a scenario. It is
> made of unrepeatability that appears repeatable locally through perceptual
> approximation. We can successfully model some things precisely, but that
> success seems to be directly proportional to how distant what we are
> modeling is from our native frame of reference. QM is the ultimate model of
> the measurable, pushing all realism, even the unity of the universe itself,
> into the margins of illusion.
>

>> > I think that every attempt at imitating nature or reverse
>> > engineering it to a formula ultimately run into the same kinds of
>> > problems -
>> > aesthetic problems where they seem canned or dull.
>>
>> I tend to think that this stems from the fact that a lot of people are
>> doing science and technology for the wrong reasons. They want the
>> money and prestige and don't care about the sense of wonder. In fact,
>> many bastards actively try to remove wonder from the process. Fuck
>> them. We've all endured enough of this already through basic
>> education. When pursuing a dream, a new apparently dry technicality
>> can fill one with excitement. When studying for an exam, the same
>> thing is dull and lifeless.
>

> That's true too, but I'm talking more about the uncanny valley effect. Given
> a sufficiently artistic simulation, we can hop across the valley, but not
> because the simulation has become real. In my view, the beauty of a
> perfectly executed illusion is a reflection of the skill and talent of the
> artist. We are no more fooled by a well executed illusion on an Absolute
> level, but intellectually, we are so impressed with the thoroughness of the
> effort that we are won over. We have a different standard, so that a new way
> of canning or freezing food tastes better to us, it is still only improved
> relative to existing methods, not in comparison to fresh fish. There seems
> to be too many examples where this is true and no counter-examples. Where
> does mechanical simulation trump the original?

A lot of people now prefer to live in artificial worlds (World of
Warcraft, EVE online, whatever else) than on the real world.
Literally, they want to spend as much time as possible on the virtual
world and as little time as possible on the real one. This is
generally considered sad by mainstream society, and I think it's sad
too, but I have to recognise that I'm just letting my biological
program do a status judgement.

>> > Technologies like search
>> > engines and predictive text seem to hit a wall beyond which they cannot
>> > really deliver detailed understanding.
>>
>> I agree. My view is that this is because they are using statistical
>> approaches instead of deep parsing. There was a recent discussion
>> about this between Chomsky and Peter Norivg. I side with Chomsky. Now
>> Google is right to rely on statistical approaches, because it's the
>> low-hanging fruit. It gave us something incredibly useful very fast.
>> But this approach won't give us the Enterprise computer or Data (a
>> likeable philosophical zombie, or is he?). This becomes obvious with
>> Siri:
>>

>> http://weknowmemes.com/2011/12/siri-im-bleeding-really-bad-can-you-call-me-an-ambulance/
>>
>> (I'm sure they fixed this already, but it's just plugging holes in a
>> sinking ship)
>

> Exactly.
>

>> I am convinced that it is possible to program a computer to achieve
>> detailed understanding, but this will require a completely different
>> paradigm, namely looking at natural language itself as a Turing
>> complete language running on a gigantic context of human knowledge.
>

> Sure, I agree we can create a giant un-person to simulate much of our
> understanding eventually, but we'll never get it to understand in the human
> sense - it will never care about what information it is processing. That's
> not a bad thing. If it were not the case, I don't see any reason why a
> computer with true feeling and understanding would not immediately plan to
> exterminate all life on the planet.

I like to think about this too.

>> > I have never found an automatic
>> > system, even within IT, which really 'work' to a satisfying degree.
>>
>> I wouldn't phrase it like that but I know what you mean.
>

> It's almost supernatural. Nothing is more unreliable than monitoring
> systems. Nothing is more unhelpful in correcting errors than error messages.
> Even in 2013, 90% of the problems in our global enterprise system can only
> be resolved by rebooting the machine. There is a desire among server
> manufacturers to de-emphasize that fact - to make power control more
> virtualized, but that often causes the bottleneck to be moved down to the
> next level. Instead of rebooting one server, the entire hardware node of 20
> server containers must be rebooted. Sooner or later, it always comes down to
> turning the power off.

Bit it's getting better and better. 15 years ago I would reboot my
computer many times a day, now I do it once every 3 months or
something like that. I also keep servers that I don't reboot for years
at a time.

>> > The
>> > generic has no capacity to relate to the specific.

>> > I think that there may or may not be some breakthroughs waiting to
>> > happen,
>> > but I don't think they will help for long. Just as synthetic fabrics
>> > were
>> > popular when they first came out, people soon grew intolerant of their
>> > aesthetics. New versions of fabrics came out later with improved
>> > aesthetics,
>> > and they have found a niche for certain functions, but they remain
>> > different
>> > from natural textiles, particularly where fine clothing is desired.
>>
>> But that's a different issue. That is the human desire for status.
>> Once something becomes easily obtainable, it's no longer desirable.
>> But if you are homeless in the cold, you would kill for a synthetic
>> blanket and some microwave food. I predict the same thing will happen
>> at some point with sex robots. They will do the trick, but nobody will
>> be satisfied with them not matter how realistic.
>

> I don't think that it is ever true that the microwave food or synthetic
> blanket would be preferable to conventionally prepared food and natural
> fiber blankets, given equal obtainability. I think that a young child who
> had no concept of cost or origin to bias their preference would innately
> prefer the genuine over the imitation.

Most children seem to prefer McDonald's to "proper food", if given the option.

>> > Because I think that awareness might be 'the opposite of the universe',
>> > no
>> > material form, energetic function, or informational model can represent
>> > it
>> > fully. An algorithm can only work if there is already some sense
>> > experience
>> > there which has the power to compare.
>>
>> I understand this position and am willing to entertain it. What I
>> still don't understand -- and this was the original challenge in a way
>> -- is why can't this awareness be accessed by a synthetic entity. I've
>> read your claims that experience cannot be replaced, but that's where
>> your ideas become hard to swallow for me.
>

> It's only because the quality of experience is derived from a condensed
> collection of experiences going back to the beginning of time. Each of us
> are, in a sense, every experience of primates, mammals, organisms,
> chemicals, etc.

I agree with this, but maybe not in the same sense. It is a beautiful
thought in any case.

> A chemical experience like silicon can't leapfrog all of
> biology and zoology to arrive at an anthropological experience just because
> we give it a playing field that reminds us of a baseball diamond. There's no
> skipping of experiences because there's no substitute for experience. Having
> a four year old trace the writings of Shakespeare with a pencil is not the
> same thing as writing Hamlet.

>> > Sure, and that's the standard assumption I would say. I think that
>> > because
>> > the universe is a continuum between anthropomorphic and mechanemorphic
>> > aesthetics, there will always be nearly-plausible explanations for the
>> > big
>> > picture. I don't think this is an accident. There is a balance, or law
>> > of
>> > conservation of mystery in which final certainty will always be elusive.
>>
>> Agreed, but again it's hard to swallow that the reason for this is
>> aesthetics.
>>

> No harder for me than particle-waves or incompleteness. Like Bruno's view of
> machine self-delusion, it would make sense that we, as nested aesthetic
> experiences, would devalue aesthetics. We are here to break down into
> anesthetic bits, and recollect them again. The importance of that task makes
> the quantitative and physical more significant to us locally than exploring
> the nature of what we already are (aesthetic).
>

>> > Even the interpretation of that balance, as coincidence which is
>> > meaningless
>> > or meaningful is part of the balance. Ultimately though, I don't think
>> > that
>> > such a continuum of perspectives would be possible under the strict
>> > mechanemorphic read. The likelihood of life existing at all is not
>> > necessarily greater than zero. Life, order, and awareness may not be a
>> > matter of probability, it may be probability itself which is a
>> > projection of
>> > that which is infinitely improbable.

>> > Just going by identical twins. Even brain-conjoined identical twins who
>> > share the same body and DNA are different individuals.
>>
>> This is a very interesting case to study, but still not a copy.
>

> Right, but it's not clear that 'copies' are primitively real. Copies may be
> a confirmation bias of measurement methods. Even if they weren't, even with
> entangled particles, they still exist in two separate positions, so that
> they aren't Absolutely identical. It is possible to see one without seeing
> the other.

Bruno's UDA eventually removes the requirement for a copy being
primitively real. That's one of the things that impressed me about the
argument. I think your position requires that you find a way to refute
the UDA.

>> > Yes, epigenetics is another clue, as is ephaptic
>> > coupling.http://www.nature.com/neuro/journal/v14/n2/abs/nn.2727.html
>>
>> Nice! Thank you for the link.
>

> Sure thing!
>

>> > The more we look at the microbiology, the more we will find what can
>> > only be
>> > sensitivity on cellular and molecular levels.
>>
>> Can you give a specific example?
>

> I'm thinking of quorum sensing, the (presumed) quantum nature of
> photosynthesis, the recent studies of communication among plants, etc.

Ok, I will have to learn more about that. I know about the presumed
quantum nature of photosynthesis but just by reading about it in
pop-science level publications.

>> > I don't know that I 'believe' in it, but it makes more sense to me than
>> > other explanations, all of which seem to have pretty large holes in
>> > them.

>> > I hope so. I'm not down on porting our brain to give us access to each
>> > other's worlds and designer experience, I just don't think that we will
>> > be
>> > able to completely replace the wetware. It seems better that way anyhow,
>> > otherwise AI scientists would be guilty of atrocities in their labs as
>> > they
>> > develop and abandon experimental versions of a human-like brain.
>>
>> I always feel a bit weird when I look at a computer I no longer use.
>>

> That sounds nice. How do you avoid it?

I pretend that there will be some DIY project in the future where I
will put them to use. So I avoid it by self-delusion essentially :)

Best,
Telmo.