On Sunday, 13 October 2013, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 12 Oct 2013, at 09:49, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
>
> Because the article is consistent with my view that there is a fundamental
>>>>

>>> So you would just say that computers lack authentic personality and
>>> sensitivity, no matter what they did.
>>>

>> Beyond question, yes. I wouldn't just say it, I would bet my life on it,
>> because I understand it completely.
>>

> Do you believe that computers can perform any task a human can perform? If
> not, what is an example of a relatively simple task that a computer could
> never perform?
>

> I thought Craig just made clear that computers might performs as well as
> humans, and that even in that case, he will not attribute sense and
> aesthetic to them.
> This was already clear with my sun-in-law (who got an artificial brain,
> and who can't enjoy a good meal at his restaurant).
>
> He call them puppets, but he believes in philosophical zombies.
>
> He is coherent, but invalid in his debunking of comp. He debunks only the
> 19th century conception of machines (controllable physical beings).

Craig is neither clear nor coherent. For example, he suggests above that
the inadequacies of supermarket computers are due to their unconsciousness,
which implies that there are some things an unconscious entity cannot do,
and therefore there cannot be philosophical zombies. However, he says (I
think - he is not clear) there is no test to tell the computers apart from
the humans. This is inconsistent.

--
Stathis Papaioannou