On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 12:00 PM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> Note, John, that you just go from P(W) = P(M) = 0, to the post you sent
> before (and that I commented), to P(W) =  P(M) = 1.

That's because it depends entirely about what the hell  P(W) and P(M) mean!
Just putting it into a semi mathematical format will not by itself make the
idea clearer, or smarter.

> You do seem confused.

At least John Clark can express John Clark's ideas about identity without
using pronouns, it just takes a little longer and sounds a little awkward,
Bruno Marchal can not because without the indeterminacy that pronouns can
produce in the English Language the illogic inherent in Bruno Marchal's
ideas would have nowhere to hide. The fact that Bruno Marchal refuses to
stop using pronouns meas that Bruno Marchal does not know how to count
people in a thought experiment involving duplicating chambers, and yet
Bruno Marchal continues to say things like "In the third person point of
view on the first person points of view. But the question bears on the
first person point of view exclusively" and "confusion between the third
person view on the first person views, and the first person points of view
themselves".

> To answer the question asked, you have to put yourself in the shoes of
> each copy,

If there were already a way to directly feel the sense of self that another
person has your "proof" would be unnecessary.

 > or at least read their personal diaries

That will not increase precision unless you give a name (and NOT a
pronoun!) to the guy who wrote the diary, if its "Mr. The Guy Who Is
Experiencing Helsinki On October 21 2013"  then the probability "he" will
experience Washington is zero.   If the guy's name is "Mr. The Guy Who Will
Experience Washington On October 22 2013" then the probability "he" will
experience Washington is 1. And I don't want to hear any more of this first
person third person stuff until you make it clear what a person is and how
many there are in a world with people duplicating machines in it.

And I agree with Quentin Anciaux that It is human to make mistakes but It
is of the devil to continue making them, but I don't agree with the pompous
way he said it.

  John k Clark