On Oct 30, 2013, at 4:31 AM, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 30 October 2013 19:03, Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:

My point was only that the traditional notions of personal identity: saying this person is that one particular continuation of that biological organism, or of that one brain, do not work. They fail in cases of fusion, fission, duplication, radical change, amnesia, etc. and must be rejected in favor of more consistent definitions of personal identity.

That is exactly what comp does, and that is at least part of the point of the teleportation thought experiments.

Read the sentence I wrote but stress the word "one".

It's not true with comp that a person's consciousness is constrained to only one single path. So if consciousness is the deciding factor in your theory of personal identity then a person cannot be constrained to a single path either.

One of the results of comp is that personal identity is split into steps, normally called observer moments (the length of these moments isn't known), and that personal survival from moment to moment is exactly the same as survival during a duplication experiment. In comp, at least, a person is a series of discrete states,

Computationalism is more a theory of mind than of personal identity, but since it allows end products of diverging paths to be possibilities for the same conscious state, then any theory that says a person is a series of experiences (conscious states) must conclude that a person can diverge into a large number of different entities rather quickly.

a "Capsule theory" of memory and identity rather like the pigeonholes in Fred Hoyle's "October the First is too late".

Hoyle's idea was that there is only one person, underwhich it is certainly not possible to say a person is only *one* single individual (organism, brain, etc.).

To be clear I am saying there are two consistent and error-free notions if personal identity:

a person == one observer moment
a person == all observer moments

What I thibk is not consistent is to say:
this person == these observer moments but not those observer moments

Jason

I'm sure Bruno will correct me if I have got anything wrong there.