On 01 Nov 2013, at 02:51, John Clark wrote:

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 2:12 PM, Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> A) The test described where the simulation process forks 8 times and 256 copies are created and they each see a different pattern of the ball changing color

Duplicating a brain is not enough, the intelligence has NOT forked until there is something different about them, such as one remembering seeing a red ball and the other remember seeing a green ball, only then do they fork. It was the decision made by somebody or something outside the simulation to make sure all 256 saw a difference sequence of colored balls that created 256 distinct minds. And to a simulated physicist a decision made outside the simulation would be indistinguishable from being random, that is to say the simulated laws of physics could not be used to figure out what that decision would be.

> B) A test where the AI is not duplicated but instead a random number generator (controlled entirely outside the simulation) determines whether the ball changes to red or blue with 50% probability 8 times Then the AI (or AIs) could not say whether test A occurred first or test B occurred first.

Both A and B are identical in that the intelligence doesn't know what it is going to see next; but increasingly convoluted thought experiments are not needed to demonstrate that everyday fact. The only difference is that in A lots of copies are made of the intelligence and in B they are not; but as the intelligence would have no way of knowing if a copy had been made of itself or not nor would it have any way of knowing if it was the original or the copy, subjectively it doesn't matter if A or B is true.

So yes, subjectively the intelligence would have no way of knowing if A was true or B, or to put it another way subjectively it would make no difference.

> I reformulated the UDA in a way that does not use any pronouns at all, and it doesn't matter if you consider the question from one view or from all the views, the conclusion is the same.

Yes, the conclusion is the same, and that is the not very profound conclusion that you never know what you're going to see next, and Bruno's grand discovery of First Person Indeterminacy is just regular old dull as dishwater indeterminacy first discovered by Og the caveman. After the big buildup it's a bit of a letdown actually.

If step 3 is that easy, then you can surely proceed to step 4.
So what about step 4?

Bruno

  John K Clark