On 11/6/2013 2:35 PM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 06 Nov 2013, at 17:26, meekerdb wrote:

On 11/6/2013 1:06 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
Our bodies are both, I would say. But we are not our bodies, we are our values, ideas, memories, etc.

But evolution implies that those are not independent of our bodies.

Locally. Relatively. Yes. Like this post depends on my computer's body right
now. I agree.

"Globally", or theologically, it is more complex. Bodies, like orbitals, are map of accessible consistent extensions, and things are rich and complex, especially if you are open to the idea of conscious universal person, perhaps related to the universal numbers, or the Löbian one.

Platonists believes in truth, beauty, justice, ... and computationalist knows that those are like real family, full of tension and contradictions, which in a sense makes them alive, and almost recognizable from lives to lives.
Our bodies can be the vehicle of ideas which transcends them.

That fuzzes up the point that evolution accounts for our feelings of love, fairness, empathy, curiosity, xenophobia, etc. Whereas Platonism just "believes in them" and provides no explanatory account.