From: everything-list@googlegroups.com
[mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of meekerdb
Sent: Friday, November 08, 2013 8:12 PM
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Our Demon-Haunted World

On 11/8/2013 8:00 PM, Chris de Morsella wrote:

Perhaps you may not know that opiates were given to infants in the Victorian
era to calm them down  - and yes it did keep them quiet and happy (until
they required another fix of that special syrup. hehe).

>>But did they have a right to it?

It was completely legal. And coke had cocaine in it too.

In Italy (and many other countries) there is no legal prohibition for minors
drinking alcohol. and Italian kids begin drinking watered down glasses of
wine quite early. What is interesting to me is that extreme alcoholism is
more prevalent in societies that try to strangle the consumption of it than
it is in say much of continental Europe where the cultures are more lax.

Does this mean little children are downing shots of Grappa in Italian bars;
of course not the bar keep and clients would laugh them out of the
establishment.

>>I grew up in Texas and there the law says you can drink if you're with a
parent whatever your age.  I used to sip my parent's beers when I was five
and have watered wine as a nightcap.  When I was in college and my mother or
father visited we'd go out to a roadhouse and have whiskeys all round.

Yeah that sounds like Texas J

It seems to me that the societies that manage such things through non
official channels of custom and social pressure are doing much better in
terms of the vital statistics that are associated with sever alcohol abuse.

Sometimes, less is more.

>>So why complain about the opium trade.

Because it was forced on the Chinese by force of arms; if that is the trade
you are talking about. Opium (and opiates) have their uses and are valuable
as pain relievers. So they will and should be traded. If someone wants to
waste themselves away in an opiated dream - who am I to say they should be
thrown into prison to save themselves from themselves.

I think drugs should be taxed to cover the costs society incurs from their
abuse.

What I am opposed to is the black market in drugs monopolized by the global
criminal syndicates and national intelligence agencies (of some countries).

Chris