Large cities do get a majority of electricity from a few sources. The cleanest
in large scale hydroelectric, the dirtiest may be coal. If solar and wind
contribute a minuscule supplemental amount of juice to the transformers, that's
nice. I can guarantee that sun and wind do not provide much compared to dirty
coal, natural gas turbines, uranium 235, and hydroelectric. What the issue is
that making promises about the capabilities of solar and wind will not provide
enough electricity, today, or 10 years down the line. People cannot live on
promises, and transmission lines that suffer brown outs and black outs, because
sun and wind cannot do the job, consistently, is no cause for comfort.
Germany. As for Germany and its vaunted success stories with wind and solar,
lets go to the mainstream progressive, pro-Green media. Germany now produces
megatons more pollution on coal burning system (American Coal!) since it shut
down its uranium burners.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/apr/20/world/la-fg-germany-nuclear-20120421

and
http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/27/business/german-offshore-wind-farms/

They are both, on your side of this argument, but realize that the ideology of
electricity, rather then the engineering of electricity, causes big troubles.
Freeman Dyson guess-timated once, that the Sun, in a single second, produces
more power than humanity does in a single year. He posited that the Sun give
off 33  Trillion times the energy that we might ever use. So, your concept must
be correct, but engineering a civilization that can survive on solar power is,
so far, a real bottleneck. This is our disagreement in essence. I would want a
solar power system that can power humankind, that is tactile, that we can roll
our tongues over, that really exists, and really does the job, and not just
bright promises. We are thinking about human survival, you know?