On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 8:12 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> On 11/12/2013 5:27 PM, Jason Resch wrote:
>
>> There is a continuation from being anesthetized to waking up from
>> anesthesia.
>>

> Did you leave out a "no"?

It was intentional, I meant there is a continuation, as in subjectively one
moment leads directly to the next.

> There is a continuation, but not of consciousness.

But isn't there?  Are you saying you don't survive general anesthesia?
Does it not seem like you are conscious one moment, then conscious of the
next?

>  Would you say the same true for an amnesiac being anesthetized?
>>

> I think so. An "amnesiac" is just someone who can't remember some
> significant block of time that almost anyone else would.  Last January
> while vacationing in Hawaii my daughter went down the beach and took a
> class in surfing.  According to the instructor she did fine and nothing
> strange happened.  She came back to the hotel, went in and took a shower.
>  When she came out of the shower she realized that she could not remember
> *anything* about that day.  She also had short term memory problems, e.g.
> she would repeat something she had just said a minute before.  We took her
> to the hospital; they couldn't find any cause and finally just said, "Well
> that happens sometimes to people and nobody knows why."  Over the next day
> her short term memory became normal - but she still doesn't remember that
> day.

Interesting, I was not aware that kind of thing can just happen to people.

In my hypothetical, however, I meant someone with absolutely no memories.
Is it not the case they can have a (subjectively) continuous experience of
losing consciousness and regaining it?

Jason