2013/11/14 Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com>

> Hi Alberto,
>
> On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 1:20 PM, Alberto G. Corona <agocor...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Yes.
> >
> > I proposed myself not to argue against sectarian apocalypticists because
> > that is a waste of time,
>
> Mentioning apocalyptic narratives is an important point. These are a
> fairly common social phenomena across History and they seem to be a
> coping mechanism of people who are unhappy with some status quo, and
> that also don't understand its complexities. The biblical apocalypse
> in the context of the Roman Empire is one example. Another one is the
> Illuminati conspiracy theories. They come from people who feel they
> got a bad deal from life and initiate this fantasy were the status quo
> is evil and it's going to get what's coming.

That is exactly right. but it is necessary to distinguish between passive
and active apocalipticism. The passives do not claim an special knowledge
of nature. They believe in a supernatural phenomenon, and they rest
waiting. The active ones believe in a natural apocalypse and claim an
special knowledge of reality, so they reject any critics and are either
open revolutionaries (like the marxists) or have a hidden agenda to subvert
the social order. The core of their motivations are megalomania, pride and
will of power.

This is from Voegelin:

The public interest has shifted from the nature of man to the nature of
nature and to the prospects of domination its exploration opened; and the
loss of interest even turned to hatred when the nature of man proved to be
resistant to the changes dreamed up by intellectuals who want to add the
lordship of society and history to the mastery of nature.

And this from Vaklav  Klaus, formet Czech president, that know first hand
the ideological predecessors of the eco-alarmists:

The debate on global warming is not about temperatures and CO2 levels. It
is an ideological war between those who want to change us (not the weather)
and those who believe in freedom, markets, human ingenuity and
technological progress. Advocates of climate alarmism ask an unprecedented
expansion of government intervention in our lives. We are being forced to
accept rules about how to live, what to do, how to behave, what to buy,
what to eat, how to travel. Is unacceptable.

> [...]
> meaningless it gets. The more models you have for the same thing, the
> less significant the correct predictions of a given model are. This is
> just basic statistics. I notice that the skeptics tend to show the
> predictions of a large set of models, while the proponents of the
> theory show less of them. Then the skeptics are accused of cherry
> picking, and this raises my eyebrows...
>
> > There is a model of the earth nucleus. It is very good. Why?  Because it
> > behaves like the real nucleus. It invert polarity every 14000 years I
> > believe, dont want to fire up the wikipedia to get the real digits. That
> is
> > why it is a good model.
> >
> > What would be a good test of a climatic model?. We know that at the
> glacial
> > eras started when North and South America united by the istmus of Panama
> > closed the free water movement between the atlantic and pacific. That
> > changed the global water flow regimes and resulted in the two polar ice
> > caps.
> >
> > It is easy to configure the continents in the climate models and see what
> > happens in each configuration of the american continents. Why they dont
> try
> > it?. Because they know that their models are lacking decades of research
> > get accurate enough for the simplest long term prediction.

> couple
> overwhelming.
> >>
> >> This is just sophisticated arguing from authority, not science.
> >> Science is the process of formulating a theory with which you can make
> >> predictions and then testing these predictions. If the predictions are
> >> incorrect, the theory is falsified. The number of papers that say
> >> something and the amount of consensus is irrelevant in the face of
> >> experimental falsification. Science is not democracy, it's empiricism.
> >> All scientific revolutions started as minority views.
> >>
> >> There is overwhelming evidence in favour of the theory of evolution
> >> because of the number of predictions it got right, not because of the
> >> amount of papers that say that it is a spiffy theory. The theory of
> >> anthropogenic global warming does not look so stellar because it
> >> failed to predict the current cooling period.
> >>
> >> Given the tremendous human cost of reducing CO2 emissions, the
> >> rational thing to do is to weigh the probability of the theory being
> >> correct against this cost. I don't have an answer here, nor am I
> >> qualified to give it. I know a bit about complex systems modelling and
> >> this makes me very skeptical of "overwhelming evidences", especially
> >> in the face of surprising observables against the models.

> >> Yes, but that something we have to do is very different depending on
> >> whether or not we have to cut CO2 emissions and, more importantly, one
> >> of the path leads to immense human suffering.
> >>
> >> Then there are the geo-engineering ideas that John mentioned. They
> >> appear to be ignored. This makes the entire thing start to smell a bit

Alberto.