Moffat even does away with renormalization.
The acid test was to be the fine structure constant being time dependent.
But that was not repeatable for a south hemisphere telescope whose name I
forget.

The two Keck Telescopes were built at Litton ITEK in Lexington, MA where I
worked for a few years.
They had cornered the market for spaceborne spy satellites. But after the
Berlin Wall came down the US govt decided they did not need ITEK any more
and ITEK was sold to Perkin Elmer who screwed up the Hubble Space
telescope. Most of us lost our jobs instead of moving to Connecticut. It
was the last physics research job I had.