On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 4:14 PM, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > the 1919 eclipse data is actually somewhat equivocal, despite
> catapulting Einstein to fame.

Back then the measurement was made right at the limit of what was possible
with 1919 technology, since then it has been repeated many times with
vastly greater precision and Einstein has always passed the test with
flying colors.

> > someone predicted black holes way before Einstein, too, on the basis of
> Newtonian gravity and the measurement of c - although without realising the
> full implications ... Mitchell???).

The earliest reference I can find is 1783 by John Michell, he  called them
"dark stars", however it had very different properties from  a modern Black
Hole. If I was far from one of Michell's Newtonian dark stars I could not
see it, but unlike a real Black Hole, I could obtain a picture of it and
print it in the newspaper, I'd just have to get closer in a powerful
spaceship. I could even land on the classical dark star, get a sample of it
and then return it to Earth, that sort of thing would be impossible with a
real Einsteinian Black Hole.

  John K Clark