From: Alberto G. Corona <agocor...@gmail.com>
To: everything-list <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Wed, Dec 4, 2013 6:38 am
Subject: Re: Question for Bruno Regarding the question of whether information
is physical.

Yes there is no loss of information at the lowest level, that is at the quantum
level . But at the lowest level, there is NO notion of HEAT. only speeds and
momentums of elementary particles.  HEAT and temperature and entropy are
statistical parameters, words used in the macroscopical laws to define sum of
energies and mean energies or disorder of particles because the energy of each
particle is not know at the human scale but each particle carry all the
information intact.

THe post is talking about the loss of information contained in a macrostate
consisting of a phisical bit of information stored in a macroscopical object.
For example a gate. The conservation of information on the laws of physics
refers to the information of the microstates.  not macrostates, whose
information can be lost. and loss of information in a macrostate generate
increase of entropy by the following reason:

in terms of state, an increase of entropy is produced when we pass from a
macrostate with less possible microstates to other with more possible
microstates.  At the beginning we have one macrostate , for example 1 formed by
all the possible configurations of electrons in a gate when it stores a 1.
when erased, we have a macrostate that may be one of the possible
configurations of electrons that may be in a gate with a 1 OR a 0  or a neutral
state. So the entropy has increased because the new macrostate (erased) has
more microstates than the original. the disorder has increased. How that
entropy increase is produced in the erase depend on the process. It may be by
means of a short circuit in the gate. The electrons circulate and hit the atoms
producing  heat. the potential electric energy of attraction produces cynetic
energy in the atoms and heat.

The microstate-macrostate transition is the same case that happens when we have
a gas of different types confined in a room and other room empty. When we
communicate the rooms, the gas expand and fill both rooms, the entropy
increased because the final macrostate admits more possible configurations
speeds and positions of particles in the  two rooms . Something similar, not
equal, happens with gas of electrons in a gate.  Measured in termodinamical
terms, the temperature decreased and the entropy measured in termodinamical
terms  delta Q/T has increased. Q is the  thermal energy or heat.

However the process is different. in the first case, potential energy is
dissipated and there is increase of Q, in the other the potential energy is
dissipated against the vacuum and produces reduction of T. Q/T seems to be
proportional to the number of microstates in a macrostate.

The availability of information in the form of macrostates when entropy is low
is what permits living beings to compute in order to anticipate the future and
survive. That can only happen in the direction of entropy increase.  I wrote
something all of this here:

http://www.slideshare.net/agcorona1/arrow-of-time-determined-by-lthe-easier-direction-of-computation-for-life