On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 2:39 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  On 12/11/2013 2:07 AM, Jason Resch wrote:
>

> On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 1:32 AM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>  On 12/10/2013 10:47 PM, Jason Resch wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 12:19 AM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>>>  Collapse is still fundamentally real in the transactional
>>> interpretation, it is just even less clear about when it occurs.  The
>>> transactional interpretation is also non-local, non-deterministic, and
>>> postulates new things outside of standard QM.
>>>

>>>  I think it's still local, no FTL except via zig-zags like Stenger's.
>>>

>> This table should be updated in that case:
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpretations_of_quantum_mechanics#Comparison_of_interpretations
>>

>>  Hmm.  I think the transactional waves are not FTL but in an EPR
>> experiment would relay on backward-in-time signaling.  Not sure why it says
>> TIQ is explicitly non-local?
>>

>  I don't know enough about TIQM to say, but the wikipedia article on it
> also mentions in several places that it is explicitly non-local:
>
>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transactional_interpretation
>

>>  What are the zig-zags?
>>

>> By "traveling" back in time and then forward a particle can be at two
>> spacelike separate events.
>>

>  Is it the Feynman Stueckelberg interpretation of antimatter?  In that
> the positron and electron created in the decay of a particle can be
> envisioned as the same particle, with the positron travelling backwards in
> time.  In the case of that anti-matter interpretation, neither is FTL.
>

> Right.  So it's "local" in the sense of slower than light, although it
> effectively implements a non-local hidden variable.

That is a rather neat trick.  I like it.  However, I still find MWI more
plausible for the other reasons I provided.

>>>  Why? Everett showed the Schrodinger equation is sufficient to explain
>>> all observations in QM.
>>>

>>>  But it's non-local too.  If spacelike measurement choices in are made
>>> in repeated EPR measurements the results can still show correlations
>>> violating Bell's inequality - in the same world.
>>>

>>  Can you explain the experimental setup where this happens?
>>

>>  http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/9810080
>>

>  Isn't that the ordinary EPR paradox with Bell's extension to disprove
> local hidden variables?  I don't see how this shows anything contrary to
> predictions of QM / Everett.  As I mentioned earlier, Bell's Theorem only
> disproves local hidden variables. It leaves two possible alternatives:
> FTL/non-local influences and measurements with more than one outcome.
>

>  When they measure the same attribute, the result is correlated as I
> described before, leading to two worlds. When they measure the uncorrelated
> observables, each is split separately when they make the measurement, and
> then the split spreads at light speed to the other, creating four
> superposed states.
>

> But the measurements with more than one outcome turn out to be more
> correlated than allowed by classical mechanics.

Bell's inequality doesn't apply when more than one outcome is possible.
You can treat them as "non-hidden, (since they are in the equation)
correlated, multi-valued variables". Bell's inequality cannot be addressed
with local (non-interacting) single-outcome variables, because once you
measure one, to agree with QM it must instantly affect the other to explain
the outcome of the remote measurement.  If you assume there cannot be this
action at a distance, and that there are hidden deterministic state tables
that define the outcome of the measurement, this is what Bell's inequality
shows cannot be made to agree with QM.

In QM, when you send the two entangled photons to two remote polarization
filters, which are offset by 30 degrees, you will find that they agree 75%
of the time.  Which is exactly the result you get whenever you send light
of a known polarization through a filter offset at 30 degrees from that
base: 75% of the light makes it through.  That the light that makes it
through is cos(d)^2 where d is the difference in angle, is itself not a
violation of Bell's inequalities, what makes it a violation is supposing
that a single-valued variable can contain the information necessary such
that: for any randomly chosen rotation of angle *X*  for the polarizing
filter at Earth, to agree 75% of the time with another filter at Proxima
Centauri, also randomly chosen but just happening to be selected to equal*
X+30 degrees* while at the same time, agreeing 100% of the time when the
angles are randomly selected and are the same at Earth and Proxima Centauri.

What does explain it, without non-localism is to suppose that each photon
is in a superposed state of all possible polarizations, and further that
there is an existing one-to-one correspondence between each of the
superposed states for one photon and the entangled other photon.  E.g., (p0
x p180) + (p1 x p181) + (p2 x p182) ... (p179 x p359) + (p180 x p0) + (p181
x p1) ... (p358 x p178) + (p359 x p179).  Each photon is in all the states,
and when you measure one of them, you become part of that superposition (in
this case 360 different superposed states), and each corresponds to one of
the results for the other remote photon.  However, the photons traveled at
c to get where they are, and the spreading of the superposition after
measurement also spreads at c or slower into the environment.

> So the four outcomes are not equally probable, in spite of the symmetry of
> the experiment.

That's just a property of how photons of certain polarizations behave when
they go through polarizers that are offset from their polarization.

> That's why it implies non-locality in any hidden variable model.

I think you are confusing the implications of Bell's theorem. It disproves
hidden variables (with a single value) that do not have some non-local
causal impact on each other when the other is measured.

> I don't see that multiple worlds makes the non-locality go away, it just
> seems to rephrase it in terms of some worlds interfering more than others.

There is no interference among worlds.  Interference can only happen when
there are no surviving records (including any misplaced particles) between
two states in a superposition.  In other words, to restore the system to a
state where interference can happen, all the particles need to be put back
where they would have been (or otherwise in the same way) regardless of
what the outcome of the measurement was.  If this isn't done, there will be
no interference.

>>>  The Schrodinger equation has solutions in Hilbert space, which are not
>>> local in spacetime.
>>>

>>  Are you referring to momentum vs. position basis (
>> http://lesswrong.com/lw/pr/which_basis_is_more_fundamental/ ) or
>> something else?
>>

>>  No, just that a ray in Hilbert space, a state, corresponds to a solution
>> of the SWE over configuration space (with boundary conditions) which in
>> general is not localized in spacetime.
>>

>  Locality (as I've used the term) refers to the idea that things are only
> affected by their immediate environment. I think you are speaking of
> something else when you speak of being able to locate it somewhere in
> space-time.
>

> If a wave function extends over a large region, then a local interaction
> with it here affects it's value over there.

I don't see how it effects the value. Any entangled pair of particles have
"measured each other", and together remain in a superposition of all
possible states.  When you measure one of the pair, you get a result, and
since that particle measured the other, you know the other one's value too.

> That's why a choice of measurement polarization at one end of an EPR
> affects the results observed at the other end, even when the two are
> spacelike.

It's not you or your measurement that changes the state of the particles.
This is a backwards way of looking at it.  It is the state of the particles
that when measured, changes the state of you.  It puts you and your
particles into a superposition.

Consider a photon that passes through a pane of glass, such that it is both
reflected and transmitted.  Essentially, its position and direction are
multi-valued properties.  If one of the paths of the photon is aimed at an
electron, then the interaction of this multi-position photon will both hit
and miss the electron. The electron is then deflected and not deflected by
the hit and miss, and so the electron is in two states, having two
positions and directions. So from this simple example, you can see clearly
how superposition spreads, and how correlations are preserved.  The
deflected electron is correlated to the photon that hit it, which is
correlated to the photon that reflected. While the stationary electron is
correlated with the photon that missed it, which was transmitted through
the glass.  If the electron that was hit by the photon hits a TV screen,
then the TV screen in the state of emitting light is correlated with the
deflected electron, etc., and the dark TV screen is correlated with the
stationary electron.  If a person sees the TV flash, he too is put into a
state of having seen and not having seen the TV screen flash, and so this
single photon, put into two positions by a piece of glass, has led to two
independent states of all the particles in the human observer.  Does this
make sense?

Jason