On 22 December 2013 04:56, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, December 19, 2013 8:24:55 PM UTC-5, Liz R wrote:
>>
>> The unexpected surprise is the jump up the "reductionist food chain" in
>> the last frame.
>>

> Right, but its only surprising because there is something that we expect
> to be irreducible which is being reduced.

Not quite, I think it's simply the distance involved that causes the
frisson. If he'd started with, say, history it wouldn't have been terribly
funny to have worked his way to comparative literature. If he'd
*started*from neuroscience (rather than being interrupted there) and
gone via say
psychology and a few other things to c.l., even that wouldn't have worked.