On 12/28/2013 3:43 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 28 Dec 2013, at 04:36, Stephen Paul King wrote:

        I loath Kronecker's claim! It is synonymous to "Man is the measure of all
things".

    What is his claim?  I am not familiar with it.

God created the Integers, all else is the invention of man.

"man is a measure of all things" is a quote from a french philosopher (I just forget right now his name) itself taken from a greek general, which cut the feet or head of all soldier having not the right size (!). (Sorry for those vague memories, learn this in highschool)

"Man is the measure of all things." is usually attributed to Protagoras (a
student of Plato).
Procrustes, who stretched or chopped guests to fit his iron bed, was a metal smith, not a general.

Now, of course, comp saves Kronecker from anthropomorphism, as with comp we can
say that:
"God created the integers, all else is the invention of ... integers".

"Die ganze Zahl schuf der liebe Gott, alles Übrige ist Menschenwerk"
    --- Kronecker

Brent

Of course it made comp number-centered, but this we knew at the start with comp, and ... with christianism, in which it is important to realize our finiteness.

Bruno

http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/ <http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/%7Emarchal/>