On 28 Dec 2013, at 01:56, Jason Resch wrote:

Somewhat. I think how frequently a program is referenced / instantiated by other non-halting programs may play a role.

Yes. It has to be like that. Stopping programs should contribute to 0, in the "measure conflict".

So we are (mostly) still "in the same universe", and so we can interact with and affect the consciousness of other people.

From my reasoning, the appearance that we are "in the same universe" is a by product of bisimilarities in the infinity of computations that are each of us. In other words, there are many computations that are running Stephen that are identical to and thus are the same computation to many of the computations that are running Jason.

Yes. We would be programs instantiated within a (possibly but not necessarily) shared, larger program.

This gives an overlap between our worlds and thus the appearance of a common world for some collection of "observers".

Right.

The cool thing is that this implies that there are underlaps; computations that are not shared or bisimilar between all of us.

Yes, I agree. In some branches of the MW, perhaps you were born but I was not, or I was, and you weren't.

COuld those be the ones that we identify as "ourselves"?

Personal identity can become a very difficult subject, since there may be paths through which my program evolves to become you, and vice versa.

Yes, indeed.

Bruno

Jason