On Sun, Jan 12, 2014 at 1:22 PM, Jesse Mazer <laserma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The entropy is defined not in terms of some vague notion of the "number of
> ways the system could have gotten into" its present microstate, but rather
> as the number of possible microstates the system might be in at this moment
> given that we only know the macrostate it's in at this moment.

Minor correction, I meant to say that the entropy is defined "in terms of"
the number of microstates associated with the given macrostate--it isn't
defined as the number of microstates itself, but rather the logarithm of
that number (times Boltzmann's constant, if we're talking physical entropy
rather than informational).

Jesse