On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 2:09 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  It [entropy] is NOT the log of the number of ways a macro-state could
> form.  That would be ambiguous in any case (do different order of events
> count as different ways?

Yes obviously.

> the Boltzmann formula shows the relationship between entropy and the
> number of ways system can be arranged

Most experts say there is only one way a Black Hole can be arranged because
it has no parts, or if it does the experts can't agree on exactly what
those parts are, see Susskind's "The Black Hole Wars". So for now it's best
to say entropy is the logarithm of the ways it could have been made.

> To say it only has mass, charge, and angular momentum is just to give a
> classical macro-state description

It's the best we can do. Perhaps when we find a quantum theory of gravity
we can say more, but not now.

 John k Clark