On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 6:05 PM, Alberto G. Corona <agocor...@gmail.com>wrote:

> " I'd like to ask a serious and honest question in good faith: what is
> the place of grief and mourning given belief in one of these theories?
> Is it even appropriate to grieve in a universe where "Everything
> exists" and the self is simply a computation on a deeper eternal
> substrate and where time is an illusion? Indeed, isn't the whole
> humanistic, existentialist "point" of these theories to offer us a bit
> of succor in the face of inevitable death? "
>
> These theories offer no relief except a vague and adolescent sense of
> superiority, typical of any cult where there are people who  "know"
> and people who don't. But once you reject this adolescent smug and
> grow your conscience of ignorance and despise the false comfort of
> being in a elite of connaiseurs, then these theories become
> depressing. Moreover they are probably wrong, guesses from
> extrapolations of some local principles that may not work out of our
> of our inmediate reality.  like "less principles are better than
> more", or "less complex is better than more complex". I`m talking
> about the Multiverse theories or comp.  Or the thermodynamic end of
> the Universe.
>
> I personally have nightmares thinking about other "me" that die in
> accident in another paralell universe. Or thinking about my daughter
> suffering the same fate in some metaworld far far away.  I know that
> this is crazy, but your mind and mine extract lessons from what you
> accept as theoretically possible. There is a theory that says that
> dreams are training scenes that the mind produce to make you
> accustomed to what may happen  the next day.

There is a "glass half empty" and "glass half full" way of looking at it.
It may be that every time you get on a plane, you are certain in some
fraction of resulting future states, to experience it crashing. But you are
also guaranteed (and in a much larger fraction) to make it safely. When
someone dies, especially a young person dies, what makes it so tragic is
the unrealized potential, the experiences they never got to have or make.
But under many-worlds, that potential is realized, and those experience are
had, only in other branches. Consider that in many branches, each of us has
died  at times where we were younger than we are now, and certainly our
family in other branches would have mourned what they perceived as your
death. But you are alive, here and now, despite their opinion.

I think science seems depressing only on the surface, when one doesn't try
to explore the implications of all the theories to their logical ends.
Quantum immortality may seem to imply the horrible fate of aging forever,
but this ignores the implications of the computational theory of mind, the
simulation argument, universalism, etc. Though the odds that we exist in a
computer simulation might be high or might be low, certainly it seems the
odds are higher than living to 200 years without some form of intervention.
So in many of the possible continuations where your "physical" life ends,
at say a normal age, your life continues in the virtual world in which some
being chose to live as you, in a "game world". This implies a type of after
life not unlike those in various religions, where you can take your
memories with you and you can reunite with others with whom you crossed
paths in the previous life.

Just from arithmetical realism, there exist ultra-intelligent, god-like
minds with access to unlimited computational power. For all intents and
purposes they are "Gods", with the power to explore the rest of reality,
and even copy and paste beings from other "physical universes" into its own
realm. Perhaps out of good-will, for introducing suffering as a process of
simulating physical worlds with conscious life in them, it extends an
after-life of its choice to the beings instantiated in the course of that
simulation. This may be an outlandish speculation, but it follows directly
from arithmetical realism, programs that do exactly this exist already.

Finally, with universalism (the only theory of personal identity that does
not fail in the face of the overwhelming probability against you ever being
born in the first place), we can realize that all conscious moments equally
belong to us all. There will never be a moment that you are not alive so
long as there is life, somewhere, anywhere. In that sense, we are each of
the universal soul, though most of us have forgotten our true nature. But
since our consciousness continues forever, we are all on a path that will
eventually lead home again. Until we decide to jump back in and do it all
over again.  (Not unlike Lila
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lila_%28Hinduism%29 )

I think our current theories lead us back to various ideas most would say
belong exclusively to religion, such as: eternal life, immortality,
reincarnation, resurrection and afterlives, a self existent ground of all
being, a universal soul, and divine union. Perhaps all of these ideas is
wrong, but each one is supported by one or more separate scientific
theories, many of them being well-established.

Special relativity -> block time -> eternal life: we each exist forever
embedded in our own time, our consciousness is not extinguished when some
present marches on without us, rather we are alive now despite the opinions
of our descendants 2,000 years from now, despite that they might think we
are long dead. They are also are equally alive and experiencing their time
according to block time.

Quantum mechanics -> many worlds -> quantum immortality: we are each
subjectively immortal, we effectively each live an infinite number of
lives, and there is no end to one's consciousness.

Mechanism + Infinite universe (cosmic inflation, string theory,
many-worlds, arithmetical realism) -> consciousness is copyable -> FPI ->
reincarnation: whenever the state of your mind becomes sufficiently simple,
it is bound to intersect the state of some other mind elsewhere in the
infinite reality. A dying brain or a brain falling asleep can reach the
same state as a brain developing on a womb or one waking up. This provides
an escape from the eternal aging implied by many worlds.

Technological Singularity + Simulation Argument -> mind uploading ->
immortality for whole civilizations: and the ability for them (or
super-intelligences they create) to explore reality through simulation.
Again, if the universe is infinite, then some of the explanations for your
current moment of awareness right now is as the "dream" of a being who
explores possibilities, limited only by their ability to imagine. If each
"post biological" person experiences just a few hundred lives over the
course of their possibly billions of years of existence, then it is more
likely you are one of them, then the biological person you believe yourself
to be. (In another sense, you are already both of them, and after the death
of the biological copy the post-biological one will remain).

Arithmetical realism, Universalism -> all minds are ultimately connected ->
we each experience an infinite number of lives and afterlives, all lives in
fact

Far from being depressing I find such speculations awe inspiring.

Jason