On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 12:44 AM, freqflyer07281972 <
thismindisbud...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I totally agree with you that science, when you really start getting into
> the implications of things like QM (and relativity for that matter),
> provides some rather unsettling (and yet very exciting!) conclusions. And
> yet... they always rest on the tip of uncertainty. Either that, or else the
> conclusions are so terrible that I can't bear to think of them.

I have come to think few things could be more certain than universalism. If
you take a few moments to consider why you were born as you, and not
someone else, the only possible answer that fits that answer is for "me" to
be born, an exact arrangement of matter or genes had to come into being. If
the exact matter was necessary, then that means if your mom at something
else, or took a sip of water at the wrong time, then you would never have
been born. If the exact genes are required, then that means you had a 1 in
100 million chance that the right sperm met the right egg for you to be
born, otherwise you would not exist at all. The odds become that much more
staggering when you consider not only your begetting, but all other
begettings of all your ancestors would have to be EXACTLY right, otherwise
you would not be born and would never have existed.

On the other hand, if you believe even if one gene or two were different,
you would still have been born, this means there really was no specific
requirement for you to be born as you, and if a completely different sperm
or egg were fertilized, then maybe you would instead be one of your
brothers or sisters.  If this is true, then shouldn't that mean you are in
fact, also your brothers and sisters. For that matter, all of the children
born to any other parent, or any being hatched anywhere that is conscious.
We are forced to choose between "universalism is false and we won the
cosmic lottery (with odds less than 1:10^24 just going back 3 generations)"
or "universalism is true".

> Like, for example, you mention the idea of "universalism," the idea that
> all minds are fundamentally connected. This has always been a very strong
> intuition with me ever since I had a "religious conversion" type experience
> in my teens. Finding this list was a wonderful moment, because it appeared
> that the implications of comp reinforced this intuition. BUT... on the
> other hand, ethically, I hate the idea that my mind and the mind of, say,
> Josef Stalin, are linked in any way,

I remember telling someone about these ideas a few years ago, and the
person exclaimed "That's horrible, you mean I'm Bush?" But it is natural I
suppose to focus on the worst. By and large you experience normal lives of
average people. All the buildings you see on all the skylines of the world,
you were the architect, the mason, the stone cutter, construction worker
who helped build it, you're the people who grow, prepare, cook and serve
every meal you ever eat, and so on. You are everyone in ancient history,
and everyone in the future, throughout the whole saga of humanity.  We
shouldn't focus on the worst and worry about that. Rather, this lesson, if
it becomes widely known and accepted, should deter future Stalin's: they
know they are also all the people that suffer because of the things they
do. In a society where so many in power are selfish if not psychopathic,
being compelled to extend their self-interest to others could transform how
those in power decide to wield it.

> and the more I learn about the enormity of various acts of evil and
> violence, the more I feel OK with the idea that maybe death qua oblivion
> really isn't such a bad thing after all, but is instead a kind of mercy
> that is bestowed upon us.

Maybe there is a certain sense of that. For example, if you were an
uploaded transhuman, would you *want *to experience the life of Stalin and
carry around all the guilt and shame of his experiences knowing what he
did? If not, that deterrence means he has a lower measure, his life and
being him is "experienced less" than other people with better lives.  Who
knows... I think we are still only beginning to scratch the surface in our
understanding of reality. Intelligent processes may have much more control
over the direction of long-running computations in the UD than we might
initially assume.

> I guess I just have some trouble squaring my metaphysical curiosities
> (that tend to pull me way out into the stratosphere) with my ethical
> demands and expectations (that tend to reign in my speculations).
>
> Do I make any sense?

Plenty. These are difficult questions I don't have answers for, just some
ideas..

Jason