On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 4:00 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  On 1/16/2014 10:14 AM, Jason Resch wrote:
>

> On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 11:44 AM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>  On 1/15/2014 11:25 PM, Jason Resch wrote:
>>

>> On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 12:44 AM, freqflyer07281972 <
>> thismindisbud...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I totally agree with you that science, when you really start getting
>>> into the implications of things like QM (and relativity for that matter),
>>> provides some rather unsettling (and yet very exciting!) conclusions. And
>>> yet... they always rest on the tip of uncertainty. Either that, or else the
>>> conclusions are so terrible that I can't bear to think of them.
>>>

>>  I have come to think few things could be more certain than
>> universalism. If you take a few moments to consider why you were born as
>> you, and not someone else, the only possible answer that fits that answer
>> is for "me" to be born, an exact arrangement of matter or genes had to come
>> into being. If the exact matter was necessary, then that means if your mom
>> at something else, or took a sip of water at the wrong time, then you would
>> never have been born. If the exact genes are required, then that means you
>> had a 1 in 100 million chance that the right sperm met the right egg for
>> you to be born, otherwise you would not exist at all. The odds become that
>> much more staggering when you consider not only your begetting, but all
>> other begettings of all your ancestors would have to be EXACTLY right,
>> otherwise you would not be born and would never have existed.
>>

>>  So what?  Someone wins the lottery no matter how many tickets there are.
>>

>  But can you a priori expect to be one of the winners? Should you not
> have some level of surprise when you find out you are a winner, and
> possibly seek some more probable explanations (my kids are pranking me, I
> am dreaming, etc.)?
>

>>  On the other hand, if you believe even if one gene or two were
>> different, you would still have been born, this means there really was no
>> specific requirement for you to be born as you, and if a completely
>> different sperm or egg were fertilized, then maybe you would instead be one
>> of your brothers or sisters.  If this is true, then shouldn't that mean you
>> are in fact, also your brothers and sisters.
>>

>>  So my Volkswagen is actually the same as my neighbors Volkswagen because
>> there was no specific requirement for them to differ except for one on two
>> bumps in the ignition lock.  I think I'll suggest that to him; his has a
>> lot fewer miles on it than mine.
>>

>  No, you are missing the point. It is not that they are similar enough to
> be you, it is that they share everything that was necessary for *you *to
> be present in them. Your current perspective does not rule out that you are
> seeing from their eyes,
>

> Then why don't I always win at poker?

You don't, you only think you don't always win because view of yourself is
too limited.

>   just as seeing only one branch does not mean the wave function
> collapsed, and nor does seeing only one time prove presentism. The simpler
> hypothesis by far is that you are born as all of them,
>

> Simpler, but contradicted by observation.  "God did it." is even simpler.

Thinking universalism is contradicted by observation is the same error in
thinking block time is contradicted because I'm only aware of one point in
time.

Taking into account indexicals you can overcome many of the illusions our
brain plays on us: making us falsely believe our point in time, branch in
the many-worlds, or ego is somehow special.

>   rather than believing there is some special or privileged person which
> is the only person in the whole universe whose entire life *you *will
> experience.
>

> Except that is the definition of "you": the life you experience

Right, and that experience isn't limited to the of some singular physical
continuation of some biological organism.

Jason