On 1/22/2014 6:25 PM, LizR wrote:
On 23 January 2014 12:53, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    By having interacted in the (distant) past.  If the universe is a pure
quantum state
    then it has zero entropy, which means that all the complexity and
information we see
    is a local phenomena due to our being quasi-classical, i.e. we are
effectively
    'coarse graining' the world. From this standpoint the positive information
we see
    must be cancelled by correlations, negative information, which are
ubiquitous.

I see. So in theory the entire universe is full of entangled particle pairs due to them having once upon a time all lived together in the Big Bang (to misquote Italo Calvino). Wouldn't those entanglements quickly get decohered by interaction with the environment, though?

Yeah, but decoherence just makes things look classical at a coarse-grained level (when we trace over the environment). Microscopically it's spreading the superposition.