On 23 January 2014 05:58, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Bruno's definition? For well over 20 years I have been insisting here and
> elsewhere that there are only 2 definitions of Free Will that are not
> gibberish, and they are almost never used:
>
> 1) "Free Will" is the inability to predict your own actions even in a
> stable environment.
>
> This is also the definition I normally use, when I have to use one at all
(most people seem to add a lot of metaphysical baggage to the term, even
when they don't realise they are doing so). About 20 years ago
(coincidentally) I was also arguing with a friend about this subject. Imho
he used words that presupposed the metaphysical nature of FW - words like
decide and choose. But he always had ideas up his sleeve that I couldn't
predict, so maybe he was making the same point...