On Thursday, January 23, 2014 8:09:40 PM UTC, Edgar L. Owen wrote:

> Ghibbsa,
>
> The effect of the gravity gradient you keep mentioning is well known NOT
> to account for the dark matter effect. The fact that it doesn't is why dark
> matter was postulated in the first place. So I don't see that your mention
> of a gravity gradient "I have to get past" is relevant...
>
> Edgar

Edgar how do you envisage there would be no large scale resolution of the
combined gravity of the galaxy? I'd doubt that is what is being said,
because there's no way for that to make any sense. The planets have their
gravity, around suns with their gravity, out to the whole galaxy including
all the dust and gas, get far enough back and that's approximately a mass,
with a gravity.

The dark matter component accounts extra gravity the radial velocities of
the galaxy say to be there.

As an aside I was going to mention (since you expressed curiosity in your
original post) that ages ago over on FoAR, I didn't speculate the same
thing but sort of related, in that I wondered whether gravity might behave
slightly differently as it compounded for increasing scales and density.
I'm thinking the more gravity stacks up vertically, the more rapidly, the
slower it falls away relative to the thin end where its furtherest extent
current is.

Not in that the big vertical stack falls away more slowly. That's the part
that stays exactly inverse with r^2.

But that where the thicker slice is adjacent to the thinner slice
(imagining two cross sections jingling against each other) the slightly
thicker slice is very slightly pulled back toward the even thicker slice
right behind and so on. The overall proportionality is then preserved by
transferring a tiny bit of the thinner adjacent back to the thicker behind
it. Which it in turn rebalances by pulling a little slice from the one
ahead.

Another way to do this would be to keep all slices constant in the summed
gravitational energy, by making slices near the massive object
itself infinitesimal thickness, and each slice subsequent however much
thicker it needs to be, to be the same summed gravitational energy. So the
thickness of the slices get ever longer the ever smaller the gravity
becomes.

It would only require a very tiny imbalance back in the direction of
increasing gravity, for the effect to be well into resolving toward the
edge of the galaxy as decreasing as expecting, and then suddenly WHAM, off
a cliff, almost vertically straight down to nothing (because  the tail
accelerated its thinning away to effectively nothing at an ever more
resolved juncture)

What sort of effect would that be in spacetime fabric? What would the
acceleration be like when objects approach the galaxy and suddenly fall off
a gravity cliff accerating wildly toward the centre, but also in the
tangential direction as well.

Anyway, the reason I thought it might make sense, is firstly the effect
would literally not exist in any gravity that we could accurately measure.
It'd pretty much be as expected right out to the cliff, because the tiny
imbalance was paid for entirely by the tail end.

Secondly, it wouldn't be just one cliff. There would be some
direct correspondence with the rate at which the galaxy becomes more
dense, varies then tails off end to end.

Galaxies aren't necessarily symmetrical in a straight line from one end to
the other through the middle. What's interesting about that, is that the
same effect would exist in both directions, but the 'pattern' would be
a mirror reflection each side..opposite...reflecting the distinct
increase/decrease in structure one way vs the other.

Something else would be what this would look like in the case of the
supermassive blackhole at the centre. The immense gravity could see the end
to end process to completion a relatively short R from the supermassive
blackhole.

Which would see a still very large tail end doing something slightly
different. But the effect on bodies near the black hole would be almost
nothing, then whoosh, off a massive cliff toward the centre of the
blackhole, but tangentially also. so massively accelerating the orbital
speed, possible passing escape velocity (assuming not passed event
horizon). But then hitting that gravity cliff from the bottom end, and so
bouncing off it back toward the centre.

So real instability of orbiting stuff, for fasting than expected orbital
speed, but trapped by what is effectively a second event horizon further
out in the form of that cliff. So the friction and collsions would be
extreme, the heat and speed more than expected, and maybe some resistence
to crossing the event horizon until the friction slows everything down.
Maybe that's why the really huge supermassive's can sometimes produce that
vast jet...maybe the energy has to escape that second event horizon, and
can only make it up the hill as pure energy of the moistest extremely
uncivilized sort.

Just a load of bananas