On Tuesday, January 28, 2014 1:52:47 AM UTC-5, Liz R wrote:

> On 28 January 2014 17:35, Craig Weinberg <whats...@gmail.com <javascript:>
> > wrote:

>>> three sentences above, so would appreciate a "blow by blow" explanation if
>>> that's OK).
>>>
>>> By saying that 0+1=1 already requires consciousness, I mean that all
>> mathematical expressions are intentional communication of a conscious
>> appreciation of symbolic relations.
>>

> In itself, that looks like a confusion of the map with the territory.
> Fortunately, however, you have a lot more to say on the subject...
>

>>  If we start with disembodied mathematical concepts as realities in their
>> own right, then we are automatically smuggling in all kinds of assumptions
>> about what the universe comes with out of the box. Integers, operators, and
>> equivalence are the end result of a kind of manufacturing process which
>> includes a lot of ontological raw materials; sequence, representation,
>> symmetry, universality, ideal objects, participation in manipulating
>> formulas...lots of things which have no plausible origin within
>> mathematics. They are all figures of experience which are valid because of
>> aesthetic familiarity - because of the sense that cognitive awareness
>> furnishes us with. If math can do all of that by itself, then an additional
>> type of 'consciousness' would be redundant.
>>
>> That's a good point.
>
> At a slight tangent, it seems possible that the universe has some of these
> concepts built in (in some sense). This isn't an objection to what you're
> saying, but maybe it should be borne in mind, in case these are somehow
> indicative of what can be considered primitive...

Yes exactly. I would say that *our kind of view* of the totality includes
the appearance of those concepts being built in to the universe. Locally
that is true, just as locally it seems to me that the meaning of these
letters and words as English language is now, as an adult, part of the
scenery. I think that because mathematical relations are almost completely
primitive, they appear almost as a shadow of what is absolutely primitive,
which is sense itself. Being that it is more primitive than space or time
(which, as Bruno suggests, are mathematically derived), math is eternal and
instantaneous relative to our awareness. Our local frame of reference is
nested within schemas which are both larger and smaller:
astrophysics-QM<>geology-chemistry<>evolution-microbiology<>zoology-physiology<>anthropology-neurology.

The position of our frame of reference flattens the more distant frames as
they occur on scales which are too remote, too fast and too slow, for us to
relate to as consciousness.

> Equivalence - all electrons (say) appear to be identical.

The more remote the frame of reference (for us, Astrophysics and QM are the
most remote), the more generic and mechanical appearances tend to be. The
electron itself may not even be 'real' so much as perceptual 'fill-in' from
those remote levels. There may not be individual electrons at all, but more
of a stereotype of a whole category of low level experiences which are,
ontologically, none of our business.

> Counting - a BEC (for example) does a sort of simple arithmetic, in that
> the universe keeps track of the number of objects involved even when they
> aren't even in theory distinguishable.

Sure, the universe keeps track of everything. It is only our nested
insensitivity which obscures almost everything from us. I would not say
that the BEC *does* arithmetic, so much as the fidelity of arithmetic sense
is preserved (as one of many layers of sense that is preserved, at or
beneath our measurement).

> Symmetry - as I'm sure you know there all lots of examples of this in
> physics. All the conservation laws (energy, momentum, etc) can be expressed
> in terms of symmetries.

Yes, symmetry is a key principle, but it is an aesthetic phenomenon
already. We can define symmetry in specific terms, but the presence of
symmetry requires some aesthetic description to be realized. There can be
no theory of symmetry without the reality of spatiotemporal experiences.