Brent,

Here's another relativity question I'd like to get your explanation for if
I may...

In Thorne's 'Black Holes and Time Warps' he gives the following example.

Two observers A and B.

A leaves earth orbit to travel to the center of the galaxy, 30,100 light
year away, using a constant 1g acceleration to the midpoint and a constant
1g decelleration on the second half of the journey to arrive stationary at
the galactic center,

Thorne tells us that the 30,100 light year trip takes 30,102 years on B's
clock back on earth but only 20 years on A's clock aboard the spaceship.

Now my question is what causes the extreme slowing of A's clock?

It can't be the acceleration as both A and B experience the exact same 1g
acceleration for the duration of the trip.

I can understand that during the trip B will observe A's clock to be
greatly slowed due to the extreme relative motion, but since the motion IS
relative wouldn't A also observe B's clock to be slowed by the same amount
during the trip?

And since the time dilation of relative motion is relative then how does it
actually produce a real objective slowing of A's clock that both observers
can agree upon?

You had said yesterday that "geometry doesn't cause clocks to slow" but
other than the trivial 1g acceleration isn't all the rest just geometry in
this case?

What's the proper way to analyze this to get Thorne's result?

Thanks,
Edgar