On 1/29/2014 12:09 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 28 Jan 2014, at 18:57, meekerdb wrote:

On 1/28/2014 1:16 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
That would be like attributing importance to a name, at a place where precisely we should not attribute any importance. I would use "tao", that would make the results looking new-age. Use any another name, people will add more connotations than with the concept of god, and its quasi-name God for the monist or monotheist big unique being or beyond being entity.

If I show it is empirically false that "Use any another name, people will add more connotations than with the concept of god," will you stop using "God" and switch to "goar"?

See my papers: I do not use the word "God". I use it in this list, because I answered post using it.

It's my recollection that you used it first (and also "angels") it metaphorically describing the scope of unprovable truths in arithmetic - but it doesn't matter now.

In the Plotinus paper I use "the one".

OK. Does that mean the same as "the ground of all reality"? If so, it seems a bit too specific in that assumes a singular. Leibniz was so impressed with binary numbers he suggested that 1 and 0 might be the goar. This would be consistent with theologies much older than Plotinus: Zoroastrian's good and evil. Confucian yin and yang. And more recently Monod's necessity and chance.

Brent

In my thesis I even use "psychology" instead of theology. It is the idea which disturb some dogmatic people, not the word. In publication, I have never hesitated to change the vocabulary, but that hardly change anything. Scientists understand without much problem, but dogmatic philosophers continue to lie on the works, and to be listened by academician for authoritative reason.