On 30 Jan 2014, at 00:07, LizR wrote:

On 30 January 2014 12:11, Russell Standish <li...@hpcoders.com.au> wrote:
Yes. Pity the poor blighters at high school if someone tried to teach
them this stuff. I remember someone once showed me the definition of
continuity in year 11 (with all the upside down As and back to frount
Es), and it nearly did my head in. Of course, that is part and parcel
of the 2nd year introduction to analysis course :).

My son (15) is rather keen on summing infinite series now, after I showed him the -1/12 demonstration. I am wondering whether to introduce him to modal logic and the other things Bruno is trying to teach me (then he can do the exercises :)

Why not?

"Teaching math" is the best way to learn math. *you* will learn, not just your son. But logic, the branch of math, is the most difficult branch of math, in the beginning. In my opinion.

Even that remark is not obvious. Attempting to explain could add confusion. To do logic you have to abstract from your understanding. You have to understand what you have to not understand.

You have to understand that

"We say that '(A & B) is true if 'A is true and 'B is true"

is no more circular than

"the output of an "and" gate will be on if its two inputs are on.

For a simple example.

Logic might be a bit abstract for a kid, but as Smullyan illustrates it can also be fun. It is also a question of taste, and then logic appears as wide its taste spectrum, like most branch of math.