On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 11:57:12AM +1300, LizR wrote:
> On 30 January 2014 11:56, Russell Standish <li...@hpcoders.com.au> wrote:
>

> > It's the concept of Cesaro 1-summability that I was dimly recalling
> > (page 125), but on page 126, it appears the same result is achieved by
> > Abel summability, which is more general.
> >

> Is Abel the person after whom "Abelian" is named?

I don't think there's more than one Abel in maths, so I would assume
so.

Although apparently "Abel summation" was actually invented by Euler
(at least according to Marsden).

> > Getting back to the sum of the integers - the Abel sum is the zeta
> > function, and the analytic continuation of such is the value of -1/6
> > that's been quoted.
> >

> OK... I may have to take that on higher authority.
>

> > It's one of those funny little topics taught in second year maths
> > without any context, and which is almost immediately forgotten as
> > useless.
> >

> I assume that is the second year at university, not school.

Yes. Pity the poor blighters at high school if someone tried to teach
them this stuff. I remember someone once showed me the definition of
continuity in year 11 (with all the upside down As and back to frount
Es), and it nearly did my head in. Of course, that is part and parcel
of the 2nd year introduction to analysis course :).

-