Brent, and anyone else who wants to answer,

First, thanks for your patience and consideration in answering my
questions. I appreciate it, and hope you will also take the time to address
what I see is the crux of the journey to the center of the galaxy case
below.

To review: the case of A traveling to the center of the galaxy at 1g
acceleration and B staying home on earth (also in an exactly equal 1g
acceleration of earth's gravity). On completion of the journey A's clock is
found to have slowed greatly relative to B's.

Now you say the actual slowing of A's clock relative to B is due only to
geometry.

But the question is who's geometry?

Obviously your answer holds ONLY if we use B's geometry (a frame with B's
location as origin) to be the correct frame.

But from the POV of A, B's geometry is exactly equal and opposite. It is
then B who travels 31,000 light years in space, and thus if it's only
geometry A should see B's clock slow by the same amount that B sees A's
clock slow. Is that not correct? If so then why is the slowing of A's clock
relative to B's what both A and B agree upon at the end of the trip?

If relativity is correct and all frames are equally valid and arbitrary
then why, in this case, must we use only B's frame rather than A's to get
the correct result? Does that not assume there is some absolute spacetime,
similar to the aether, that all motion is relative to?

If that is not correct then it can't just be geometry because we must
choose one possible geometry over the other, one frame over the other as
the 'correct' frame. It is no longer a matter of just geometry but choosing
the single one CORRECT geometry since there are two (actually infinite)
possible geometries.

If we claim that we have to choose B's geometry, that it is somehow right
and thus absolute in some sense (not just relative, and an arbitrary choice
of coordinate system) then it seems we have to assume that there is some
absolute spacetime similar to the aether, that all motion is relative to.

On the other hand if we claim the effect is NOT due to geometry, but to
acceleration, we are faced with the problem that A and B both experience
the exact same 1g acceleration for the entire duration of the trip. So how
could it be an acceleration effect if the acceleration of both A and B are
identical? That would seem to violate the Principle of Equivalence would it
not?

Or, if like Liz, we claim it is due to A's reversal in direction of
acceleration mid trip then we are faced with the problem that the direction
of B's 1g acceleration is also continually changing during the trip as
earth rotates.

Thus we seem to have 3 choices each of which contains an unanswered
question. Can you clarify please?

Specifically why we must choose B's geometry over A's to get the correct
result, when if we use A's geometry we get the opposite result, because B
is moving relative to A during the entire journey the exact same amount
that A is moving relative to B in B's geometry. So why is B's geometry
privileged and A's isn't?

I hope my question is clear. If not let me know and I'll try to clarify
it...

Thanks,
Edgar