On Sunday, February 2, 2014 10:09:10 PM UTC-5, David Nyman wrote:

> Thanks for quoting the Chalmers piece because I didn't have it to hand and
> was relying on memory. But on rereading it I still believe that my way of
> formulating the paradox has teeth. Although Chalmers admits in this passage
> that consciousness looks explanatorily irrelevant to phenomenal judgement
> on a functional basis, but not necessarily causally irrelevant, one must
> appreciate that he is hedging his bets, or better reserving his arguments,
> for a later appeal to psycho-physical causation. And remember too that I
> agree with him that the relation of acquaintance entails that we cannot
> coherently accede to any such irrelevance, whether or not we deem it
> explanatory or causal. If this were not the case there would be no paradox,
> since there would be nothing to explain but function.
>
> But of course he must still elucidate the psycho-physical principles he
> seeks, in order to build a bridge from the relation of acquaintance to that
> of function and I don't think even he would claim to have achieved that
> beyond some speculative ideas on the role of information. So building such
> a bridge is a necessity for any theory before we can concede that it has
> eluded the jaws of the POPJ.
>
> I would certainly be interested to hear how your theory tackles this
> problem, if in fact we've now succeeded in establishing just what it is.

I think that Chalmers gets most of the way there in general, but in a few
areas stops short of committing to what I call primordial pansensitivity,
but could be called Absolute panpsychism. I've been influenced directly
from Chalmers and his formulation of the Hard Problem, and I see myself in
many ways as picking up where he leaves off. For all of his boldness in
approaching the possibility of panpsychism, he is still operating from a
framework which assumes structure and mechanism, at least as parallel to
consciousness. What I am looking at is a universe which is fundamentally
aesthetic, i.e., a self-nesting dream about dreaming. The more nested the
dream, the more realism can be leveraged, because the scale of time and
space can be expanded, making sub-dreams seem physical and super-dreams
seem intuitive from any given dream. It's all being carved out of the
Totality like a Jack O Lantern (metaphorically, obviously, I'm not talking
about a carving of a literal container). The totality need not be a deity
or a Mind as far as I can figure, but human experience might be part of a
larger kind of experience which may as well be deity-like or Mind like in
part.

What I propose then is that coherence itself is relativistic and changes
dynamically as any individual experience becomes more transparent to the
Totality or more reflective of the insensitivity which masks the totality
(the bodies-in-spacetime view). I'm not claiming to have an exhaustive
reinterpretation of physics, only that I might have put together all four
corners of the frame of such a reinterpretation. It could take centuries to
fill in the rest of the puzzle, and I have no delusions that it is my
account that has to be the one which leads us there. If anything at all
comes of my efforts, I'd be pretty surprised, but I do suspect that any
correct reinterpretation of physics will be more or less consistent with
the basic ideas I'm proposing.

Einstein too, like Chalmers, was on the right track but didn't go far
enough. He was right not to accept QM also, but he did not take the final
leap of seeing order itself as a relativistic feature, and that physics
itself was a protocol of shared perception rather than just dynamic ratios
of measure. Measure, like computation and information, ultimately can only
make sense if it is part of a larger and deeper sense of intention and
appreciation. The current idea of information overlooks the "in" and treats
all phenomena as formation. This is, in my understanding, only the public
range of physics. Private physics, or the physics of privacy is the source
and destination of all forms and functions. Forms are a side view of
experience which can be appreciated. Functions are a side view of
experience which represent participation.

Craig

David