On Monday, February 3, 2014 3:21:21 AM UTC-5, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 02 Feb 2014, at 20:48, Craig Weinberg wrote:
>
> I have no problem with (what I understand of) Bruno's schema, except that
> like all computational or information-theoretic schemas, it places logical
> objects before sensory subjects and fails to identify the aesthetic monism
> beneath the two. I see that functionalism cannot work because consciousness
> cannot have a function. Instead, the universe develops function to extend
> the aesthetic depths of its contents - the kinds of sense and the degrees
> of sense making within them.
>

> If you put sense at the base, and still have no function for
> consciousness, then your theory dismiss the only reason why I can prefer
> sense at the base.

The function of consciousness is to intensify the range and intensity of
aesthetic qualities. That's the point of the sense primitive. There is no
further function, just as function itself has no function.

> Then, yes, for the ontology I want something understandable in the 3p way,
> like numbers or programs. That is why I appreciate comp, it makes that
> possible. Then we can test the consequences.

I have no problem with that, I just suggest that it is inside out from the
absolute perspective, so that where we seek to approach the absolute
(consciousness itself), our expectations about physics and computation need
to be inverted.

Craig