________________________________
 From: LizR <lizj...@gmail.com>
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Sent: Thursday, February 6, 2014 2:34 PM
Subject: Re: Indian physicist resolved Black Hole paradox much before Hawking

On 7 February 2014 11:17, Chris de Morsella <cdemorse...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Perhaps, but also true that most ALS sufferers do not get such attention &
media adulation.

>> Perhaps because they aren't world famous scientist? I'm not sure what you
>> expect here!

Which is what I was suggesting... namely that Hawkins got known first and
foremost because of his work and not because of his ALS... though his ALS
certainly makes him a compelling figure.

I appreciate Mitra feeling bitter about this, but at least it should get his
result more public awareness. I do find it very interesting, more so than any
squabbling about who was first. Looks like Mitra has done a far better job
anyway so that's what I'm really interested in. (Maybe now there will be an
article for dummies like me in scientific american...)

Also tbh I haven't really thought Hawking was doing much actual science for a
long time, as an interested lay-person at least, despite him being called in on
the odd well-publicised bet ... (plus his "imaginary time" idea seems to have
dropped off the radar). He's good for the odd quote about the mind of God and
fire in the equations...