On 2/7/2014 10:56 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 06 Feb 2014, at 22:49, LizR wrote:

Hawking gets the attention because he has ALS. It's not a tradeoff many would
want to make.

He might get attention also because he is a star in the field (rather well deserve for its accomplishment).

Of course it is good for him, and possibly sad for some other scientists, which might do good work but be ignored.

History of science is full of misattributions of all kind. It is not really important for the ideas, but of course it can be important for the more peculiar steak, moral, fundings, etc.

I haven't studied it enough to be sure but a quick skim gives me the impression that Mitra's eternally collapsing object assumes some impossible properties of the stress-energy and that's why it can violate the Hawking-Penrose theorem. Conceivably those properties might be implied by quantum gravity, but that's rather different from just postulating them.