On Sun, Feb 9, 2014 at 11:19 AM, Edgar L. Owen <edgaro...@att.net> wrote:

> Jesse,
>
> Same thing as I'm saying. My other clock time is just a clock centered in
> your coordinate system. It's the same idea. If you look at the equations of
> relativistic clock time they are always of the general form dt'/dt = f( ).
> I just note that the dt with respect to which dt' is calculated is another
> clock. You simply note that other clock is some coordinate system. Exactly
> the same. MY clock is the clock at the origin of YOUR coordinate system.
> The equations are exactly the same. The concept is exactly the same. You
> are talking about the exact same thing as I am.
>
> Yes, the PARTICULAR 1:1 relationship only exists with respect to some
> arbitrary coordinate system (which I stated as just some other clock). The
> choice of that coordinate system is of course arbitrary. That's irrelevant
> because with EVERY choice of a coordinate system there will be some such
> 1:1 relationship on the basis of which clock times can be used to determine
> the same points in p-time. Depending on the choice of coordinate system
> those clock times will of course be different but there will be such a
> relationship that defines the clock times in ANY two relativistic systems
> such that a same point in p-time can be defined in terms of a 1:1 relation
> between those clock times.

Are you saying that the definition of p-time simultaneity itself depends on
the arbitrary "choice of coordinate system"? I thought p-time simultaneity
was supposed to be an objective matter, so the question of whether any two
past events were simultaneous in p-time could have only one TRUE answer. Is
that not correct?

> Yes is the answer to your question "if two clocks are at rest relative to
> one another and "synchronized" according to the definition of simultaneity
> in their mutual rest frame, do you automatically assume this implies they
> are synchronized in p-time?"
>
> I already stated that several times in my posts of yesterday and even gave
> concrete examples in which it was true, so I'm surprised you accuse me of
> not answering it.

Thanks for giving a clear answer. I understand that you think that some of
your statements in previous posts were answering it, like "A and B in deep
space. No gravity. Their clocks, t and t', are synchronized. They are in
the same current p-time moment and whenever t = t', which is always their
clock times confirm they are the same current p-time as well as the same
clock time." But I think there is still potential for ambiguity in that
statement, because "synchronized" could mean synchronized in p-time which
might not agree with relativistic synchronization in their rest
frame--that's why in my own question I said 'synchronized according to the
definition of simultaneity in their rest frame. If you can just quote a
question I ask and respond directly to the quote, as you did above, it'd be
appreciated, since this would avoid any possible ambiguities that might
occur to me but wouldn't occur to you.

In any case, now that I understand your answer, let me elaborate on what I
meant when I said earlier that such a rule for p-time simultaneity will
"run into major problems if you consider multiple pairs of clocks where
each member of a pair is at rest relative to the other member of the same
pair, but different pairs are in motion relative to another". Suppose we
have two pairs of observers, with each member of a pair being at rest
relative to the other member of the same pair, but the two pairs in
relative motion. Call the first pair Alice and Bob, and the second pair
Arlene and Bart. Assume that in the Alice/Bob rest frame, Alice and Bob's
clocks are synchronized, and likewise assume that in the Arlene/Bart rest
frame, Arlene and Bart's clocks are synchronized.

Start by considering their initial positions, velocities and clock times in
a coordinate system where Alice and Bob are at rest. At coordinate time t=0
in this frame, Alice is at position x=0 light-years, Bob is at position
x=25 light years, and their clock readings are T(Alice)=0 years, T(Bob)=0
years. Meanwhile at the same coordinate time t=0, Arlene is at position x=0
light years--her position coincides with that of Alice--and her clock reads
T(Arlene)=0 years, and Bart is at position x=9 light years and his clock
reads T(Bart)=-12 years. In this frame, Arlene and Bart are both moving in
the +x direction at 0.8c. So 20 years later in this frame, they both will
have moved forward by 20*0.8=16 light-years, so at t=20 Arlene is at
position x=16 light-years while Bart is at position x=25 light years. Their
clocks are running slow by a factor of 0.6 in this frame, so in a span of
20 years they tick forward by 12 years, meaning at t=20 Arelene's clock
reads T(Arlene)=12 years and Bart's clock reads T(Bart)=0 years, so this
event on Bart's worldline is simultaneous in his own frame with the event
on Arlene's worldline where her clock read T(Arlene)=0 years and her
position coincided with that of Alice (the fact that these events are
simultaneous in the Arlene/Bart rest frame is easily proven using the
Lorentz transformation, I can supply the details if needed). But since Bart
is at x=25 light years at this moment, his position coincides with that of
Bob who has remained at rest at x=25 light years, and whose clock is
keeping pace with coordinate time so his clock reads T(Bob)=20 years.

Summing it all up, if we use BOTH the rule that a pair of clocks at rest
relative to one another and sychronized in their rest frame must also be
synchronized in p-time, AND the rule that events which coincide at the same
point in spacetime must happen at the same p-time, we get the following
conclusions:

1. The event of Bob's clock reading T(Bob)=0 and the event of Alice's clock
reading T(Alice)=0 must be simultaneous in p-time, since they are
simultaneous in the Alice/Bob rest frame.

2. The event of Alice's clock reading T(Alice)=0 and the event of Arlene's
clock reading T(Arlene)=0 must be simultaneous in p-time, since they happen
at the same point in spacetime.

3. The event of Arlene's clock reading T(Arlene)=0 and the event of Bart's
clock reading T(Bart)=0 must be simultaneous in p-time, since they are
simultaneous in the Arlene/Bart rest frame.

4. The event of Bart's clock reading T(Bart)=0 and the event of Bob's clock
reading T(Bob)=20 years must be simultaneous in p-time, since they happen
at the same point in spacetime.

Thus if simultaneity in p-time is transitive, we can put these all together
and arrive at the conclusion that the event of Bob's clock reading T(Bob)=0
is simultaneous in p-time with the event of Bob's clock reading T(Bob)=20!
I am sure you would not accept such a conclusion, but it is an unavoidable
consequence of the two rules for p-time simultaneity I listed above, so if
you want to avoid the conclusion you have to either ditch one of the rules
or say that p-time simultaneity is not transitive (which I guess would be
possible if you don't think there's a single objective truth about p-time
simultaneity and that it depends on the context of the frame we are using,
see my question about this above).

Jesse